Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wizard
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the archives and I am still confused. All info points to my thermostat. Here is the scenario:

Car guage does not show overheating.
Coolant is low (must add a quart after 40 min drive) and resevoir needs filling. With the car running and when I add water throught the radiator cap it appears to be circulating.

Is this a faulty thermostat or a leaking water pump?
Why doesn't the guage show overheat if water is disappearing?
If thermostat, is this a 2 hour job?
If water pump, I will take to dealer!

·
Registered
557 Posts
are you just adding water? if you are, you need to find out what your ratio of water to anti-freeze is.If it is to little,(too much water)you need to add anti freeze also. living in texas a 50/50 mixture should be fine to keep your water from evaporating.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Replacing the thermostat will take you ten minutes, and a new one is about 12 bucks from NAPA.

I don't know what your problem is, but if you're losing coolant, it's not your thermostat.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I just changed my thermostat about 2 weeks ago. The gauge read hot after about 10 minuites of driving. The thermostat is bad when it don't let coolant travel through your motor. My thermostat cost me 28 dollars. The n'a was 10 bucks. It is behind the silver thing by your radiator cap. Take off your MAS, and 4 bolts does it. Buy a gasket too. About 10 minuites is right. But your problem dont sound like the thermostat. It sounds to me like the water pump. But I'm not a mechanic. I only do my own own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts