Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I just purchased a 91/TT and I found out that the factory CD player will not play burnt CD's. Someone told me that it would if you burn them at 2X is this true? If not is there any other way to burn them? Thanks Nick..

·
Trader????
559 Posts
I can play 32X CD-R's in my Pioneer changer, its a direct copy of the factory style. Now, it won't play CD-RW's at all, it shows it as no disc.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had the same problem with my 91 stealth R/T TT. I went with an aiwa mp3/cd player off ebay... plays cd, cd-r, cd-rw, and even files encoded w/ mp3 format...

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
Some old CD players just cannot read CD-Rs for whatever reason...

The stock 1993 6 disc CD changer can read them just fine, though.

Most older CD players cannot read CD-RWs - my head unit I bought about three years ago does not play them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sometimes I could trick my 92 Cdplayer into playing Burned CD-Rs: Usually I'd put a CD-R in and it would give me an "E" and spit it back out. But I found sometimes by putting the disc in and immediately starting to forward through the tracks, by about track 4 or 5 it would catch and start to play. Once it can find 1 track, you can play the whole disc normally (until you eject it).

It doesn't always work but worth a try.

Peace.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awsome

I will try that...

I am just curious though why I coudlnt burn normal blank CD's to the same exact formate and speed etc.. that normal store bought CD's are so it would play just as them..
It dont really make scense to me..

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
Re: Awsome

Nickpc said:
I will try that...

I am just curious though why I coudlnt burn normal blank CD's to the same exact formate and speed etc.. that normal store bought CD's are so it would play just as them..
It dont really make scense to me..
I assume it has to do with the fact that when you burn a CD you're, well, writing info to the disc. CDs you buy have the data "stamped" on them - there is no burning to speak of.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Odd !! LOL
maybe I should buy an audio stamp!!
I am sure a new Cd player would be cheaper though !!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try to burn one at 2x.
The slower you burn a CD, the deeper the groove is put into the foil wedged between the plastic of the CDR. If it's a deeper, cleaner groove for the lazer to follow, it will have better sound quaity and less chances of ever skiping, sometimes even if scratched! My home CD player will only play CDR copies that are at 2x. But the newer CD players can read just about everything. Also if you notice on our home computers the CD drives say something like 32x speed. That's spining faster mainly for DATA, But you will never have that 2xCDR problem with a computer reading AUDIO. Our older AUDIO CD players didn't have to spin that fast for anything other than store-bought CD's. So to always get a practicaly identical bootleg'd copy of anything burn at the slowest speed. You can actually here the diff. Try it for yourself burn a cd at the slowest speed and another identical one at the fastest! I can tell only in my car and with headphons, but there is a difference!

·
Registered
799 Posts
hey man,

on my red 91 R/T TT!!

I have the same player as you do i bet..
it plays some burned discs,
I DJ so i have like 1000's of cds...and ..well lemme think for a little while what brand name it plays,

Make sure you arent using the cheap discs though..

ah i just checked

MEMOREX GOLD LABEL!

the bottom of these are the greenish blue color...
but the one side where you title it is GOLD!

i havent gotten these in a long time, but I believe these were the only ones that played with ease in the player..

somtimes youll get lucky!

goodluck man

·
Registered
394 Posts
I simply has to do with the fact the CD-R is a different format (digitally speaking) then a true Red Book CD that is stamped from a plant. If you have a Mac, you could use Jam 3.0 or MasterList to produce a real RedBook CD and it will play on your old cd player, provided you have the correct type of CD.. the colored ones are not as good as the plain silver ones (throws the laser off with the color shift) but you can't find the plain silver ones too easily anymore.

Even then, the CD-R's I get to work in my car (91 original head unit) will skip like mad.. even just going over a reflector in the road will cause it to skip. Your best bet is to get a new head unit.. something made in this decade.

G

·
This is gonna sound stupid, but I have seen it happen with more than one Pioneer 6-disc (which is what our stock ones are) in both home and car units where people simply put the CDRs in right side up instead of upside down. Other than that burning at 1x is always optimal, but not always necessary. My 95 head unit and Pioneer cdx-m30 work fine with CDRs. I would howver suggest staying away from the cheaper CDRs - Imation etc. If you can buy them @50 for $10 with a $10 rebate, there is a reason!

BTW my 6-disc CDX-M30 is for sale along with the cables and a magazine.

Later,

-Shawn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.