Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started looking into this a long time ago when I thought about making a kit car for my sports car. Lack of time, and a garage forced me to ditch this idea nad settle on a VR4(darn! and I do keep it covered yes and I'm looking to move somewhere I can have a garage so don't flame me. She's well taken care of). Anyway, I was wondering if there's any company out there making some kind of retrofit F1 style shifters? I would think a couple of computer controlled hydraulic pistons would do the trick to replace the stick shift. That or even an entire transimission replacement. Then just put paddles or buttons on the steering wheel and add the shifting computer and you're set. Auto when you want it, but faster than human shifting when you want performance. I know it seems silly and would cost an arm and a leg, but has anyone seen anything like this?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks cool, but that's for an auto transmission to make it act like a manual. I probably should have specified, but I have a manual. Any other ideas?

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
uh, the paddle shifter for your manual is called the shifter, hehehe

it doesnt get much simpler than that....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, actually. It's what they use in the ferrari 360 F1. Also, I believe a bunch of other companies are working on similiar ideas. I just like the idea personally. Heck even if it still had a clutch, but you could upshift and downshift via paddles on the steering wheel I think that'd be really cool. You wouldn't ever have to take your hands of the wheel. That's why they do it in Formula 1 racing.

·
Registered
399 Posts
or you can spend 40000dollars for Xtrac sequential trans used in the GT races. hehehe. that is the best one you can get, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts