Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys I must be stupid or something. I just got new tires and got 255-45-18 thinking they would fit my first gen but the front ones rub the strut. the thing is that I bought the tires off of ebay and now I am screwed. is there anything short of buying new tire that I can do?

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
Hopefully you got a good deal on the tires.

One option is to put them on "parts for sale" and at least break even on the cost. There are always members looking for tires. What kind of tires are they?

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I got a really good deal on them. they are yokohama avs db.

its just the strut base that is hitting the tire, if I got ground control that would fix my problem right?

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I want to go the spacer route

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
I think you have a fixed system problem

If you are describing an interference between the top of the tire and the bottom of the spring perch on the strut....There is no way to fix that problem. The perch is hardmounted to the strut. The strut is hardmounted to the wheel/axle assembly....So the distance from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the spring perch is FIXED.

Nothing you do related to springs will change this distance.

Take another look:(

·
Proud Owner
1,651 Posts
hobbit382 said:
yeah I got a really good deal on them. they are yokohama avs db.

its just the strut base that is hitting the tire, if I got ground control that would fix my problem right?
I don't think so. When ajusting the GC coilovers, only the strut mount changes distance from the strut base to augment or diminish height. The strut base will always stay at the same distance from the point when the strut connects to the wheel, therefore these tires will still rub on the strut base.

I think the only answer is either to either get spacers or new tires (245/40/18?)

JR.

·
Proud Owner
1,651 Posts
...or in other words, what g8rbob said ;)

·
Want Some?
1,057 Posts
See if you can trade them in for a yokohama set that will fit. I'd say go down to a local tire dealer and see if they would do a swap out. After all, if the tires are new...should be an easy swap as they would be warranteed. Just a thought.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Yeah, like said before if your on 18" wheels...255/40/18 is what you need at best, even 35 would be preferred...

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I was think that if I got ground control that I would just cut the part that was rubing. because from the pictures it doesn't look like it needs any of that.

well I got the tires off of ebay do you think I could still trade them into a dealer?

·
Proud Owner
1,651 Posts
hobbit382 said:
well I was think that if I got ground control that I would just cut the part that was rubing. because from the pictures it doesn't look like it needs any of that.
Actually, the height adjusting cylinder sits on the spring base (perch).

If the tires are I good shape, I think your best bet is to try to sell them back on Ebay :) That, or simply selling them here in the parts forum.

JR.

*EDIT*
Technically, you could cut the part that is rubbing, but you would still have to leave enough of the spring perch intact in order for the height adjusters to sit on it

·
Registered
764 Posts
There is a place online, i forgot the address, where you can buy a custom made "spacer" where it is designed for our cars so it is pervfectly ballanced and includes replacing the studs with longer, srtonger ones. The kit cost like $200 but it is perfectly ballanced and perfectly safe. It will even eliminate some oversteer by mooving the tires out a bit.

The down side is that you can get them to space very far, so it might not move you out enough to clear your tires that are too tall.

you have to determine if you tires are too tall or too wide. I doubt they are too wide..I run 265's in my car.

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, the height adjusting cylinder sits on the spring base (perch).
yse this is true but it only sits on the center on the perch. I only need to cut off a little to make it clear.

·
Proud Owner
1,651 Posts
hobbit382 said:

yse this is true but it only sits on the center on the perch. I only need to cut off a little to make it clear.
hehe, I edited my post ;)

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hehe. so do you think it would work? I'm going to blam it all on you guys if it doesn't J/K

so where is the man with all the answers yeah Jeff I'm talking about you. I know you have ground control on your website. will what I'm talking about work?

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
if you cut part of that perch, it'd still work, but you'd be cutting a lot of the support out too, i wouldn't advise on that...

also running with your overall diameter of the wheels/tires being much larger than stock, your going to be throwing your speedo off 10-15%

StelthBoy....he has no problem clearing the calipers or anything (what spacers are for), he'd have to move his tire out INCHES to clear the perch, then he'd look ghetto :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts