Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno why but I've had a strong urge to do donuts in my car lately. And well we haven't gotten any snow yet so I thought I'd try on dry pavement.. (I know not the brightest idea :( ) Anyways I made 2 passes and got the car to go sideways a little bit and that's about it. I pulled my car up to my buddy Mike's truck after that and I noticed something was grinding real bad. It was actually kinda slowing the car down a little. and it was really loud. So i thought maybe the lug nuts were loose. and the wheel was wobbling but I don't think that's it. Seemed tight. Then I drove around some more to see if it would grind again but it wouldn't do it anymore and there was alot of rattling going on when the car was moving. So I started driving home and on the way back the wheel started shaking pretty bad and then I heard this clunk and it felt like a part fell off the car and was run over by my back tire. After that the wheel stopped shaking and there was just a bunch of rattling like before. Any ideas guys? I'm gonna check it out tomorrow because it's too cold and dark to do anything right now.

I fuckin' hate not knowing what's wrong with your car. I'm gonna be up all night thinking of what I broke :( .... Ahhhh well. I have nobody to blame but myself.

·
Registered
580 Posts
wow umm... award for well not the brightest thing to do???
there is a thread in the lounge on awards i think this one is worthy!
:rolleyes:

sorry but i have no idea... sucks to hear...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
next time you do something like this can you just give me your car? cause i will take car of it

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
next time you do something like this can you just give me your car? cause i will take car of it
cmon man :rolleyes: I do take care of my car but I'm also not gonna own a VR4 and not have some fun with it. What's the point of buying a fast car if don't plan on beating on it every once and while. I'll also find out what might go wrong if anybody else decides they wanna pull this stunt. If you wanna drive slow all the time you should buy a dodge omni or something.

Edit: I think Just the fact that I'm up at 3:00 in the morning replying to this thread shows that I really do care about my car.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
hmm

Could be your transfer case or maybe your VCU (Viscious coupling unit). Im not sure at all so dont take my advice for sure. I just know that with alot of slippage the VCU can burn up. I sure hope its not either of those two!!! As for beating on your car, seems like these newer members are being pretty harsh lol. While I wouldn't do donuts in my VR4 cause Ive heard it messes them up, im not gonna sit here and make fun of you lol. People beat on cars all the time! Launching it, flooring it, powershifting, its all part of owning a fast car. If your not gonna have some fun with it then buy a minivan. Besides that its his car and he can do just about anything he wants with it. I see people in Supras and Trans Ams doing donuts 10x more then I see VR-4 owners doing it. I just hate to hear people make you look like an idiot but then turn around and they have done the same thing. Lets not resort to petty comments and lets try to help him out! :)

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Master_D said:

cmon man :rolleyes: I do take care of my car but I'm also not gonna own a VR4 and not have some fun with it. What's the point of buying a fast car if don't plan on beating on it every once and while. I'll also find out what might go wrong if anybody else decides they wanna pull this stunt. If you wanna drive slow all the time you should buy a dodge omni or something.

Edit: I think Just the fact that I'm up at 3:00 in the morning replying to this thread shows that I really do care about my car.

Totally Understandable.:bigthumb:

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
What's the point of buying a fast car if don't plan on beating on it every once and while.

I believe most of us do this by going fast in a straight line. I am not an expert, but I would start looking at your driveline. You probably fubar'd something in it since these fast cars aren't designed to do doughnuts.

·
2,243 Posts
I see people in Supras and Trans Ams doing donuts 10x more then I see VR-4 owners doing it.
They are rear wheel drive the only thing it messes up on them is the tires.

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
I'll second that.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
hmm Thats a tough one. Crawl under the car and inspect the half shafts on the front and rear, and also check out the axles.

Its def got to be drive line related.

·
Registered
17,589 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Master_D... I tried doing donuts once on dry pavement... tried rather half-assed twice and gave up... realizing that its kinda HARD to do, so I probably SHOULDNT be doing it.... lol that was just my logic though ;)

Either way, what you described is most definately driveline related and you're going to have to give up your first born to pay for the damage done... haha

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
BigBadVR4 said:

They are rear wheel drive the only thing it messes up on them is the tires.
I know this lol. In my reply read like 3 lines up where I said I don't do donuts in my VR-4 because its hurts them. :) Even so, the Supra and Transam owners are still beating on their cars when they do em! :D lol

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
If you end up needing help, give me a call. 414-339-5614.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I looked at it this morning and it seems to be the CV joint? I dunno for sure but you know that boot that's behind the rotor. That shit got all ripped up and there's grease all over the inside of the wheel now. I'm gonna take a short video clip of it later and post it on here. I hope my drive line isn't screwed up

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jim I might be giving ya a call on this one. but then again I might try to tackle it myself so I'll learn my lesson lol..... definately gonna give ya call after I get my parts in for the 120K service. I decided to take yer advice and replace everything. So I'll let ya know. Thanks alot man!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Master_D said:

if anyone wants to pull this stunt then they must not respect thier car very much or they have a lot of money to fix there car in the event something does go wrong. and what does doing donuts have anything to do with driving fast?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.