Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was starting down the path to build Jeff's intake pressure tester tonight when I stumbled on a very simple way to do the same test.

REQUIREMENTS
1. Aftermarket boost gage (I have a 0-2.5 BAR MAP sensor hooked up to my MMCd data logger)

2. Air compressor with pressure regulator

3. Heavy duty lawn / leaf plastic bag (leave it folded up)

DIRECTIONS
1. Remove MAS from intake

2. Cover MAS with plastic bag (8 layers of plastic thick)

3. Reinstert MAS into intake

4. Tighten intake clamp

5. Pressurize intake to 20 PSI using fitting on plenum

Clint

·
Registered
841 Posts
cbatters said:
Was starting down the path to build Jeff's intake pressure tester tonight when I stumbled on a very simple way to do the same test.

REQUIREMENTS
1. Aftermarket boost gage (I have a 0-2.5 BAR MAP sensor hooked up to my MMCd data logger)

2. Air compressor with presure regulator

3. heavy duty lawn / leaf plastic bag (leave it folded up)

DIRECTIONS
1. Remove MAS from intake

2. Cover MAS with plastic bag (8 layers of plastic thick)

3. Reinstert MAS into intake

4. Tighten intake clamp

5. Pressurize intake to 20 PSI using fitting on plenum

QED

Only leak I found was from the stock BOV.

Clint
crude...but effective. I LIKE THAT...I guess its really no more crude than PVC glued and screwed though. It really all boils down to necessity being the mother of invention once again. Good idea.
turbojj

·
S.V.P. Club Founder
778 Posts
Cool.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
widow maker said:
perhaps an embarrassing question, but what "fitting on plenum"are you referring to?
Thanks, and very cool
-Widow
On the plenum near the throttle body there is a nipple with a 4-5" piece of tubing that connects to some hard lines. Common tap point for boost gage - good place to pressurize intake.

Clint

·
just a guy
533 Posts
Good idea...pressurizing through the intake plenum instead of fabbing up a giant cork to go in place of the MAS.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jeremyk said:
Good idea...pressurizing through the intake plenum instead of fabbing up a giant cork to go in place of the MAS.
Wasn't trying to develop a new pressure tester - I was just having a tough time getting the round PVC fitting into the the oval gasket when I got the idea of inserting a plastic membrane and using the existing MAS/clamp to secure it.

Planning to use the same technique to block off the two turbo connections to the Y pipe to test the BOV. Current pressure tester installed @ MAS does not test proper closed loop BOV operation.

Adversity the mother of invention...

Clint

·
Registered
17,522 Posts
can't believe I never thought of that. I'll definately be doing this when my car is ready to go in the next couple weeks.

Nice work!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Kewl as hell, cbatters. I'll try something along these lines to test my intake system when it's all done. Little harder, as I went to a blow thru setup. Have to take each airfilter off and put the membranes over the end of the metal pipe it's clamped too, then reattach the airfilter.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Storm Strike said:
Kewl as hell, cbatters. I'll try something along these lines to test my intake system when it's all done. Little harder, as I went to a blow thru setup. Have to take each airfilter off and put the membranes over the end of the metal pipe it's clamped too, then reattach the airfilter.
Picture is worth 1000 words....

Clint

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I still prefer looking for coolant leaks. All you do is is set the Air to 20psi at the regulator, stick a blowgun into the coolant pickup in the reservoir, and go at it.

-- Henry

·
GoFast Crackpipe Junkie
450 Posts
Yet another design...

Here's my design for a pressure tester. It also allows you to test the functionality of the bypass valve - meaning the operation of the valve, not just that the hose clamps are tight.

Costs under $15 and can be made in 20 minutes.

http://www.team3s.com/~egross/3S/Maint/TT/IntPresTest/index.html

--Erik

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Erv said:
does this pressurize the whole system, even the intercoolers and shat as well? i mean i am a newb i guess but the throttle plate is there and then it just goes into the plenum right?

call me a tard, but will this nipple let u test all the same stuff that the link below does?

http://www.team3s.com/~egross/3S/Ma...Test/index.html
All of the testers pressurize the entire intake track including plenum / intercooler / turbos etc etc.

The difference is that Eric's tester also tests the blow-off valve for leaks by removing the stock intake whereas the other testers including Jeff's and the "No Excuse Not to Test - Glad Bag" tester do not.

Clint

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Nah any of them can test the bov if you do it like I recommend in my intake pressure tester thread. Just remove the bov from the return and plug the hole with a D cell battery... done.

Rob

cbatters said:
All of the testers pressurize the entire intake track including plenum / intercooler / turbos etc etc.

The difference is that Eric's tester also tests the blow-off valve for leaks by removing the stock intake whereas the other testers including Jeff's and the "No Excuse Not to Test - Glad Bag" tester do not.

Clint

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RobBeck said:
Nah any of them can test the bov if you do it like I recommend in my intake pressure tester thread. Just remove the bov from the return and plug the hole with a D cell battery... done.

Rob
I'll have to add this to the list of material... ;)

1 - Glad lawn/leaf bag
1 - D Size Battery

1 - 20 of 28 Posts