Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok maybe this is a very stupid quetion but oh well I'm gunna ask it....I have been looking for a new exhaust system for a while and i have been listening to a lot of peoples 3si cars exhaust sounds....and I really haven't found what I'm looking for. (I'm probably being to picky) I was just wondering if there is a muffler or exhaust system that has the sound of an exotic car like the ferrari...not like a muscle car sound.....more of a race car sound....i dunno really how to describe it....just something thats not like a muscle car sound and not a honda sound.....I'm looking for something that has more of a race car/exotic car- ferrari/acura NSX sound!!!
I'm probably being unrealistic but thats what I want and I dunno if our cars can produce that sound. Thanks a lot for the input in advance!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do a search on Apex'i N1s, the are supposed to make a nice racey sound, somebody posted a video of a 3kgt doing a flyby with dual n1.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You've got three choices:
1) install speakers on your rear deck and loudly broadcast a tape of an indy race.
2) Buy a ferrari or other exotic with at least 12 cylinders.
3) Be happy with the sound a 6 cylinder makes ...

The "race sound" you are describing comes form several factors: The number of cylinders and firing rates, the short (without any resonator) pipes, and the RPMs at which you normally hear them go by. There are entire studies on the "harmonics" of these cars and why they sound so good.

http://members.aol.com/racecartec/motormusic.html
http://www.gillet.com/de/public/artikel_10/
http://www.f1mech.co.uk/engines.htm
http://www.acoustics.org/press/131st/lay01.html

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm guessing you want a "highly tuned, high strung" type of sound? I must admit, the NSX is probably the sweetest sounding car i've ever heard at WOT. Those things sound badass. But, i think a lot of the sound has to do with the cam profile/valve timing. The NSX has vtec with a very aggressive cam configuration. Race cars have those too, and that's why they sound like that. So if you want a race sound, an exhaust will help, but won't quite get you the banshee scream. I dunno, maybe someone who has aftermarket cams here can tell you how their cars sound.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
which one?

thanks a lot for the info guys...you've been a great help!! I guess your right I'm never really going to get the exact NSX sound but is there an exhaust system or muffler that comes close to that exotic-ferrari/NSX or race car sound?? I've heard the Apexi N1's do??

·
Registered
606 Posts
David Walden said:
You've got three choices:
1) install speakers on your rear deck and loudly broadcast a tape of an indy race.
2) Buy a ferrari or other exotic with at least 12 cylinders.
3) Be happy with the sound a 6 cylinder makes ...

The "race sound" you are describing comes form several factors: The number of cylinders and firing rates, the short (without any resonator) pipes, and the RPMs at which you normally hear them go by. There are entire studies on the "harmonics" of these cars and why they sound so good.
well, one of the examples in the original post was the NSX(my personal favorite:p ) which is lacking 6 of the cylinders needed to meet criteria number two. it's a 24v 3.0l(or 3.2l depending on year) V6, sound familiar? i don't know if this has anything to do with exhaust note, but the exotics with the bad-ass exhaust sound are almost always mid-engine. also, they're always very quick revving engines, with lightened internals ie: aluminum heads, etc(my caddilac has aluminum heads...no other simmilarities to the NSX though:rolleyes: ). i really don't have any further information for you on this, but i think you're going to find it has to do alot with the cam's/valve's setup and the lift/duration on the cams.
on another note, i've never heard anything about the apexi N1's but i have heard that the 70 series Flowmaster is "pretty quiet"(not deep and rumbling) and is considered a "racing muffler"(extremely high-flow), might wanna check that out.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
I have an ATR downpipe, Borla catback, & no cats. I haven't heard many Ferrari's (who has?) but I know my car sounds GREAT at full throttle. Definitely not a muscle car sound...more of a high strung race car. There's nothing like going full thottle through a tunnel with the sunroof off and the windows down.

BTW...I LOVE your Sig pic Toxic...that's awesome!

·
Vr-4 Evr
2,027 Posts
get a titanium exhaust it gives more of the racing sound cause it doesnt resonate. I think ferraris and big cars use titanium.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just went to the Ferrari Dealer about one week ago(where I sold my car Alfa Romeo(same dealer)) and I heard about 3 360 modena running in the garage.

It doesn't have really a big noise, but you are right, it has really high note. I don't know how to describe it, but I know one thing.

They have really big muffler. I was surprised when I saw it. and I am not sure how to make that sound, but if you search it, I am sure you can find what company makes the muffler, and other things required.(spec... etc)

with the normal engine setup of our cars, I highly doubt that any exhaust system will make it sound like that, but I guess anything is possible, so try.

or you can buy quet mufflers(not completely), and rev little higher.

oh, by the way, the noise of Ferrari is mainly coming from the engine, not the muffler I think. If you know what I mean(the gears and belts...etc)

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Trevor said:
I have an ATR downpipe, Borla catback, & no cats. I haven't heard many Ferrari's (who has?) but I know my car sounds GREAT at full throttle. Definitely not a muscle car sound...more of a high strung race car. There's nothing like going full thottle through a tunnel with the sunroof off and the windows down.
That's what I am talking about.

Borla + ATR - cats = exhaust sound heaven

I get compliments all the time on how good my exhaust sounds. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
flowmaster 70?

So far from what I've heard the Apexi N1's make the best race car sound! I did a search on the flowmaster 70 series but couldn't find anything....is the 70 series a good one for our car? And since I have a N/A 3000GT is it ok that I get the turbo apexi n1's with like 2.5 inch piping?? Thanks so much for the input!!

·
842 Posts
David Walden is right,

The "race sound" you are describing comes form several factors: The number of cylinders and firing rates, the short (without any resonator) pipes, and the RPMs at which you normally hear them go by.
The same as u can’t have a 5.0 mustang and a Camaro of the same year sounding the same.

You might want to try resonators 1 or 2 instead of the cat, it should raise the note higher a bit.

If you want more rumbles get a real dual exhaust, one bank of 3 cylinder in one muffler and the other 3 in a second muffler, no main 3”.
2 main 2 1/2” from the turbo’s back just like the BozzSpeed one.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I've got the same set-up as Trevor on my VR4. ATR DP, Borla cat-back, and no cats. Love the sound!

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Monza typically makes Ferrari style exhaust, they also make a lot of exhaust tips and crap...Tubi is another one

the "Monza" exhaust they sell at Pepboys and the like probably isn't the same quality, but you can buy mufflers and such from the Ferrari dealer, might be interesting to try!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do any of you guys have sound files of your exhausts posted ? Specifically the full ATR setup and the "ATR DP+Borla catback-cats" setup...I hear all this talk about how good everyones exhausts sound...I want to hear some of them, so if anyone could tell me where I could find some sound files that would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
If someone can tell me how I get the sound from the car outside to the computer in here I'll put it up.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
some how i would think the sweet sound produce by ferrari is not due to its exhaust system but by the v12 engine...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts