Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My exhaust suddenly got more quieter. I have a straight pipe and its cammed. at idle you could hear the cam and while driving, the exhaust note wasn't too loud but still enjoyable. Ever since I stepped on it one time while driving, a day later the exhaust just got way too quiet. Took it to a shop and they fixed a leaking exhaust gasket but it still is quiet. I'm hoping changing out the fuel filter will solve this. It needs to be changed already so maybe could be the cause?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry, what do mean by cammed? I just may have a hunch as to why the exhaust dropped some decibels or had a change in tone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A few things to consider: Valve timing is off, bad valve stem seals or worn out oil rings. Valve cover gasket has nothing to do with oil in the exhaust system this is all very internal. If indeed you have worn out oil rings then yes you will have tons of carbon build up inside the chamber which is very bad and will lead to other serious issues.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So

Far I haven't seen any oil coming out the exhaust or smelled anything like oil from the exhaust either.
The place to actually check is the exhaust manifold, since there is a long way for the whatever amount of oil to travel out of the exhaust tips, by that time it is all evaporated. I don't have a non TT nor I have I ever owned one, so not sure where exactly is the oxygen sensor is located, but you can use that port with an endoscope inspection camera to look into the exhaust system. It could also be excessive moisture in the exhaust system which means a coolant leak, excessive moisture or oil will dampen sound. Could also be a bad cat that's if you have one but the sound will very slowly and gradually change with a bad cat and not just suddenly out of the blue, well thats my opinion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
1. Get yourself a good quality endoscope inspection camera...2. a compression gauge
Do a compression check on the easy to reach first bank cylinders and compare your reading to the manual, also while you are at it use the camera to look inside the combustion chamber and the exhaust system using the o2 sensor port.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few things to consider: Valve timing is off, bad valve stem seals or worn out oil rings. Valve cover gasket has nothing to do with oil in the exhaust system this is all very internal. If indeed you have worn out oil rings then yes you will have tons of carbon build up inside the chamber which is very bad and will lead to other serious issues.
Oh man I get that checked out and keep you updated. Thanks for the information!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts