Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Cincy, OH and we, undoubtably, have the stupid "E-Check" thing that checks emissions. This sux because I can't open up my exhaust when i start to mod. Does anyone else face this problem and what did you use? I know I can use a catback system and then get a high flow cat, but I want the ATR 3" found on DynamicRacing.com. This system won't work for me right? Because it is a complete system and ditches the cats?

I couldn't find on their site whether it was a "cat back" system or not. I did read something about some "Shane" guy making them for members on the board, but he doesn't make them for 2 gen's at them moment. I don't think..........

Does Borla sound good? I want the best sounding/performance exhaust I can get while still passing the damn stupid emissions test here! Thanks....;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
I used to live in Chillicothe, OH and we never had an emissions check?? I had alll my cats removed while I was back home. I'll actually be moving back home next week!!!:D :D :p :) I hope they don't check my car for emissions, cuz chances are I'd fail miserably.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
just find a shop that will pass you.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mcvicker said:
I used to live in Chillicothe, OH and we never had an emissions check?? I had alll my cats removed while I was back home. I'll actually be moving back home next week!!!:D :D :p :) I hope they don't check my car for emissions, cuz chances are I'd fail miserably.
I'm not sure exactly where Chillicothe is, but I live in BlueAsh. I live about a mile from Kings Island, so I consider that Northern Cincinnati. Well, anyways, here in Cincy we have these big ole ugly buildings everywhere that have signs on them saying "E-Check" and you pull your car into one of the 5 bays and they have this big mirror that they look under your car with then they pull your car onto these "dyno" looking BIG rollers and stick a probe in the tailpipe. They get in your car and go about an estimated 35MPH for about 2 minutes and then the computer reads out whether your vehicle passed emissions or not. Finally, they pull your vehicle up a bit more and test the gas cap for pressure leakage or somthing like that. After all is said and done, you pay $19.95 and they hand you your certificate paper, unless you failed, and then you can go and get your vehicle licensed.

If you go to license a vehicle and it's "E-Check" time and you don't have that certificate then you have to go and get the emissions test. Personally, I think it's a bunch of crock, but that's just my opinion. I guess it's just more money that the state can put in their pockets. So, my dilema is that I can't have a totally free flowing system because of this. At best, I can have a catback and maybe a high flow cat. I don't even know if these would pass or not. This is what I'm wanting to know from fellow Cincinnatian's......

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
matt92vr4 said:
just find a shop that will pass you.
nada! won't work!:( The only place you can get the "passed emissions" certificate for licensing a car is at "Ohio E-Check". I guess it's only a Cincinnati thing. I don't know! But I do know that if you go to license your vehicle and you don't have that special certificate only found at "E-Check" then your screwed til you get the "emissions test"!!:mad: :( :(

OH WELL! I guess I won't be as lucky as some of you.... And I also forgot to mention that local muffler shops are rewarded by the state if they hear of anyone trying to beat emissions by making fake "certificates"........ It is a $5,000 fine and up to 5 years on prison of they catch you trying to beat the system.......:(

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Come on Cincy people! Tell me what you got......... Are there any Cincy 3si peeps on this board? I'm thinking not..........:D

·
5,179 Posts
You can go with the ATR downpipe and exhaust if you want. You can even gut your precats too as long as you have a main cat on when you take the e-check.

You can go with any high flow main cat.

They dont do the regular test because you have AWD. They just stick a probe in the exhaust pipe and check to see if the car idles right.

You will pass as long as you have a main cat on and you drive it long enough for the main cat to heat up before getting it checked.

I know because I am from Cleveland and we have the same e-check.

(You will have to gut your precats on your own because no shop is going to do it for you.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts