Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL FWD NA
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, there I recently did a flywheel and clutch change on my 1991 3000GT SL, while I did this I put on a 3SX downpipe and lightweight flywheel paired with an OEM clutch. After doing so I noticed some more oomph with the 3SX downpipe but I am unhappy with the sound of the downpipe. The system that I have on the car is 3SX Downpipe to a Cat delete then paired with a 3SX NA Catback. I thought that the downpipe would increase the loudness of the car but all I noticed was that it popped a bit more frequently and made the car a little faster. In conclusion, I want the car louder than it currently is and was curious if I should either delete the last muffler or delete the resonators or just delete both and run a straight piped system.

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR
56 Posts
Every car is going to sound different, since they are not all the same. Some 3/S/GTOs respond better to mods than others, including sound..

However, the universal way to make sure you get the loudness you want, is to remove any restrictions which include: Resonators, Catalytic Convertors, and Mufflers.

I would say removing the last muffler is usually the cheapest, and most efficient way of getting the sound you want.

·
Registered
1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL FWD NA
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every car is going to sound different, since they are not all the same. Some 3/S/GTOs respond better to mods than others, including sound..

However, the universal way to make sure you get the loudness you want, is to remove any restrictions which include: Resonators, Catalytic Convertors, and Mufflers.

I would say removing the last muffler is usually the cheapest, and most efficient way of getting the sound you want.
Oh ok, currently I have a 3SX downpipe going to a 3SX Catback system without catalytic converters and it sounds decent, I love the sound I just want it louder, would a muffler delete change the sound a lot? or would it just be louder?

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR
56 Posts
Oh ok, currently I have a 3SX downpipe going to a 3SX Catback system without catalytic converters and it sounds decent, I love the sound I just want it louder, would a muffler delete change the sound a lot? or would it just be louder?
Yes, significantly.. As the muffler holds all of the packing to reduce sound (and anything in your exhaust system that is some sort of canister like piece of metal.)

In general, the shorter the muffler, the louder your vehicle will sound - but it depends entirely on manufacturer and how much the muffler is packed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts