Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine just picked up a 96 Crown Victoria at an auction that used to be an undercover police car. Still has the spotlight on the side, and the cool chrome hubcaps that stick out and say, "Hey I'm an undercover cop car". Anyways he was talking about how he thinks it's pretty quick and is faster than his 91 Lumina Z-34 auto. We take the cruiser for a spin and I tell him I think the Z-34 is a little faster. I raced the Z-34 a while back and it was pretty close but I steadily pulled away (not fast, but steady, talking 0-85 I had 2-3 car lenghts). Anyways the other night I was coming home from work and I come up to him on the interstate. I pull along side of him and he gets a big shit eating grin on his face so I know he's wanting to go. Well we hit it at 65 and I grab 3rd gear right as I hear his car kick down. By 85 I had a car lenght on him and by 100 I had 4+. I was surprised! After riding in it I knew I could take it but I figured it would be closer than that. Maybe it doesn't have the mods that real cop cars do, but it had those green hoses under hood and a tranny cooler??? I hear the Caprice 9-C1 cars are faster so I'll have to find one of them next. Preferably one that's not being driven by a cop.

Jason

Attachments

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The true cop package also includes dual exhasut and a better rear end (3.32 [edit: I <i>meant</i> 3.23] instead of 2.9x I think). They're rated at 15.90s by the magazines with a top speed of 130.

The newer (98+) ones are faster with 20 more HP and a 3.53 rear end. They're rated at 15.7 @ 88.

If somebody could hook me up with a cop ECU for a 93 Crown Vic police car, it'd help me a lot. The "regular" version has a speed limiter at 105 :(

·
Registered
476 Posts
my friend's parents have a crown vic that he drives while his triumph spitfire is getting fixed. he is a dangerous driver and he passed me going pretty quick. he said 110 i think, but now that you brought up the point about the ecu, i'm gonna have to ask him if he was bluffing... :D

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think the state troopers and some local cops around here have the interceptor them..........nobody knows how fast these cars really are

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, this is an old story, but a few years back when I was in college, I used to have an '89 Caprice (one hell of a workhorse). It had over 300,000 miles on it and was still going strong. Well anyways, my best friend's mother had a '90 Caprice with the "heavy-duty" transmission and the 5.7liter engine. I had the no-frills version...the plain old 5.0 with the regular tranny. My friend used to talk alot of smack to me about how his mom had the "police" version and how it was supposed to be more powerful n faster n all that stuff. Well, one day he brings his mom's car to school and we're hangin' out n shit....we both happen to have the cars with us, so he wants to test his mom's car against mines and see how much faster her's is over mines. So I'm like "okay, lets do it". We line up at a light and when it turns green, we both punch at exactly the same time....both cars stay side by side for like the 1st gear, as soon as we hit 2nd gear, mines starts pullin' ahead. I get like 1 car length ahead of him and then we stop at another light. We're both confused at this point ....and I can see the embarrassment in his face as well. So he says, "lets try again", so we do....the same exact results like 3 times over.....finally, bewildered and amazed at the results, he tells me "man, my car got more luxury n shit that's weighing it down...that's why yours keeps pulling ahead" I'm like "okay dude." I didn't wanna rub anything in 'cause I knew he felt kinda bad. The point is, sometimes all those heavy-duty cop version setups sometimes make the car much too heavy....maybe they have more overall HP's for top end speed, but they can't really pull from the line. Afterall, cops need more reliability and top-end speed, then low-end torque.....they're not trying to win 1/4 miles, they're trying to chase down bad guys-------like us when we're doing 120mph in our 3s cars.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
ZC3000 said:
he tells me "man, my car got more luxury n shit that's weighing it down...that's why yours keeps pulling ahead" I'm like "okay dude." I didn't wanna rub anything in 'cause I knew he felt kinda bad.
Good Job man you beat him and did not rub it in. I hate to make fun of people too after I beat them. But if they give me shit before hand it is on. HEHE:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts