Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using EvoScan 2.9 on a 95 3000GT? I have 2.9 and the OpenPort 1.3 USB cable. I can download codes when the engine is not running, but cannot get the datalogger to sync up, cannot view codes with the engine running, and cannot get the gauges option to work.

1995 VR4 Spyder

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
ya try 2.5 or 2.7 as well. I'm stocking with 2.5 because it does what I need it to do for now untill I get my tactrix cable and 98SL ecu. : )

·
Future TT convert :D
411 Posts
You have to hit the connect button on Evoscan wait about 3 to 5 seconds then turn the key on. Wait for Evoscan to say "waiting on connection" or whatever (maybe a second before that) before you turn the key on though. Play with the times a little but that's how I get 2.9 and other versions to work. It likes to drop connection randomly then reconnect though. Still working on that but now I have other issues I still have to work out after swapping to a TT harness and ECU. :(

·
Registered
520 Posts
2.8 worked for me on my 95 (not a Spyder, if that makes any difference).

Wow that engine in your sig looks awesome. Not to high jack the thread but, how did you get the timing covers like that?

·
JNS Engineering
2,502 Posts
Anyone using EvoScan 2.9 on a 95 3000GT? I have 2.9 and the OpenPort 1.3 USB cable. I can download codes when the engine is not running, but cannot get the datalogger to sync up, cannot view codes with the engine running, and cannot get the gauges option to work.

1995 VR4 Spyder
The standard cable will not sync with the hybrid ECU. You need to have a ground on pin 1 of the OBD 2 connector. It is possible to do on the car side by connecting pin 1 to pin 4.

This works with Evoscan 2.5 through 2.7. I haven't tried the later ones yet but they should work. There is a known issue with v2.6 and the 1996.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wow that engine in your sig looks awesome. Not to high jack the thread but, how did you get the timing covers like that?
Thank you. It is just House of Kolor candy apple red basecoat (over a spray adheasion promoter and House of Kolor primer) and clear coat. I am hoping it won't peel once the engine is back in and running.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The standard cable will not sync with the hybrid ECU. You need to have a ground on pin 1 of the OBD 2 connector. It is possible to do on the car side by connecting pin 1 to pin 4.

This works with Evoscan 2.5 through 2.7. I haven't tried the later ones yet but they should work. There is a known issue with v2.6 and the 1996.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I believe that the newer cables do not require the grounding you describe; mine didn't (bought the cable a year ago).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for all the tips. Lots of stuff to try...

The serial number supplied with 2.9 does not work with 2.5, hence I have been unable to test it. I have requested a 2.5 serial number (3 times now).

Per the 95/96 3000GT instructions, I have been setting the baud rate to 10400, the cable to OpenPort 1.3, and selecting the DSM/3000GT/Ecl. MUTovrODBII option.

·
JNS Engineering
2,502 Posts
I believe that the newer cables do not require the grounding you describe; mine didn't (bought the cable a year ago).
It's easy enough to check continuity from pin 1 to 4 or 5. I think some of the older cables don't even HAVE a pin installed at pin 1 lol. I made my own cable and haven't had a problem.

Thanks for all the tips. Lots of stuff to try...

The serial number supplied with 2.9 does not work with 2.5, hence I have been unable to test it. I have requested a 2.5 serial number (3 times now).

Per the 95/96 3000GT instructions, I have been setting the baud rate to 10400, the cable to OpenPort 1.3, and selecting the DSM/3000GT/Ecl. MUTovrODBII option.
OpenPort 1.3 and MUTIII are correct. I never had to set baud rate on any version I've used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No luck. I tried the following with 2.7, 2.8, and 2.9:

- Tried all three version with various gyrations of start logger first, turn on ignition first, etc.

- Shorted pins 1 and 4 on the car's connector and tried again. I know I had the correct pins connected because the CEL was blinking its status.

- Tried loading the OpenPort 2.0 driver, but it defaults back to 1.3 with my cable. I have the EvoScan 1.3D USB OBDII/MUTIII/SSMII Datalogging Cable.

- All three version will successfully check stored codes with the ignition on, engine off. This works with or without pins 1 & 4 connected. I just can't get any live data.

I plan on trying a different computer next, but don't hold much hope that this will make a difference. I had previously tried 2.9 on a Netbook running Windows XP and a laptop running Windows 7.

Is there any other engine check software that will work with this cable?

Still no serial number provided for 2.5 from Evoscan. Pretty poor customer service. I've had the request in for over a week without a response.

·
Flasher
9,631 Posts
IIRC 2.5 was the one I had most success with. Still buggy, but connected to the fast data rate and stayed connected once linked.

OBDII is slow as balls compared to MUTIII on mine. MUTIII is 100+ data items/sec. Again IIRC, it's been a while since I've used it.

As for other software, Mitsulogger, it's free, connects and logs fast rate, EVERYTIME. Last version I tried was 1.3b, looks like only 2.0 is available on their site here: http://blog.aktivematrix.com/aktivematrix-useful-info

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you mean does my car have an ODBII ECU, I don't think so. I have a Actron ODBII scanner and it can't communicate with the ECU. Also, I can pull the stored CEL codes with EvoScan, I just can't get anything live to sync up.

·
Flasher
9,631 Posts
Was talking about for my car, 2.5 works but not everytime. Where the Mitsulogger has never once not connected properly.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts