Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1991 VR4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i found a set of mint HKS coilovers and was wondering if anyone has tried them on a VR4.

I'm currently running a set of Evo 8 coilovers with the adapter kit and was wonder if they would work also.

Also I'm upgraded to the Evo x brembos and currently have Evo 8 front knucles, but thinking about getting Evo x knuckles since i already have the 3sx ABS delete kit.

The weight of the Evo X is actually closer to the VR4 than the 8/9s.

Any imput would be appreciated

·
Registered
1991 VR4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the rear lower bushings won't work. You have to make a new one that works or make a custom-made one like I did.

Can you explain more detail or have a picture???

I actually was thinking that it just might be a bushing just looking at the set ups.

Also what do you have exactly done and how does it ride?

Have you compared it to other set ups and would you recommend them?

Thanks buddy!

·
Registered
518 Posts
You might want to look at a set of Ohlins from Mueller (Welcome to Muellerized Suspension Systems ). We are fortunate to have a serious race team owner who is also a big fan of 3000GTs. John will build custom sets of Ohlins for however you plan to use your vehicle - for about the same price and good EVO suspension.

I went through a few combinations before I put Ohlins on mine and regret wasting time and effort with everything else.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might want to look at a set of Ohlins from Mueller (Welcome to Muellerized Suspension Systems ). We are fortunate to have a serious race team owner who is also a big fan of 3000GTs. John will build custom sets of Ohlins for however you plan to use your vehicle - for about the same price and good EVO suspension.

I went through a few combinations before I put Ohlins on mine and regret wasting time and effort with everything else.

I'll look into it, thanks but I found this amazing deal for a new set of HKS IVs so thats why I'm looking to make them work if possible.

The Evo X weight balance is closer to our VR4s and they seem to not need much to work.
So just doing alittle research before I pull the trigger.

If it works, it'll be nice to have more options for our cars!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'll look into it, thanks but I found this amazing deal for a new set of HKS IVs so thats why I'm looking to make them work if possible.

The Evo X weight balance is closer to our VR4s and they seem to not need much to work.
So just doing alittle research before I pull the trigger.

If it works, it'll be nice to have more options for our cars!
From what I recall, the lever ratio on the rear of both the V-IX and X are different from our platform - which would change the preferred spring rates and mess up the damping in the rear.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interseting...
Just based off of what I'm reading, the Evo X is actually closer weight ratio to our VR4s than the 8...
I mean they are different but in this case better...

Just some quick screenshots of what i mean.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It's the lever ratio that's different - that's the ratios between 1) the distance between the A ram pivot points to where the coil-over attaches and 2) the distance between the A arm pivot points and tire centerline.
At one point I had both an EVO IX and the VR4 - with Ohlins on each. I could be wrong but am pretty sure the rear spring and damping rates on each were quite different because of the differences in lever ratio.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i understand that and it would make a difference if all of that wasn't adjustable with coilovers.
dampaning, spring rates all can be switched out which I'm looking at doing anyways with stiffer Swift springs...

Also these are the HKS GT IVs I'm looking at that already have a stiffer spring set up and adjustable damping

·
Registered
518 Posts
i understand that and it would make a difference if all of that wasn't adjustable with coilovers.
dampaning, spring rates all can be switched out which I'm looking at doing anyways with stiffer Swift springs...

Also these are the HKS GT IVs I'm looking at that already have a stiffer spring set up and adjustable damping
Yes of course the spring and damping rates are adjustable - it's all about whether the adjustment range will work with the lever ratio of the application. At the rear, the Ohlins I have on my VR4 have different damping than the Ohlins I had on my EVO IX. I'm pretty sure that others have found that you can't get EVO rear struts to adjust enough to work on a VR4. I'm only suggesting that you check that before spending your money on something that won't adjust to where you need it..

·
Registered
1991 VR4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got confirmation that Evo X will fit and ratio will depend on type of coilovers and spring rate.

So basically like everything else available.

Hope this helps someone in the future

1 - 12 of 12 Posts