Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if you can add ethanol to 100% gasoline to boost the octane rating of the gasoline and if so what percentage can you add? I spoke to the company that owns the gas stations and delivers the gas that gave the 100% ethanol and he said the octane rating is at minimum 112 and is most often 115. If you do add the ethanol to the gas do you also have to add something to aid in the lubricity? I have read the posts on this subject and have not seen anyone say if there are any benefits to adding the ethanol. I know that tolulene is the octane booster of choice but I got this ethanol free. Are there any adverse consequences to adding the ethanol?

·
Ultimate Procrastinator
142 Posts
10% ethanol/gas shouldn't have any adverse effects... hell Sunoco here sells all their gas as a 10% ethanol/gas mix (highest they sell is 94 octane though). Any more than that, you may get some corrosion of the rubber hoses/seals/other stuff that I can't think of.
Performance-wise, ethanol burns much cooler than gasoline, and therefore produces much less power, so there's a trade off, although, that's pretty consistant with other octane boosters.
Toluene would work better, octane-wise, but is worse on seals and such.

Good luck

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
jdk88888 said:
ethanol burns much cooler than gasoline, and therefore produces much less power
Burning cooler lets you make more power...

I would stick with toulene, it has much better combutsion properties and is a higher octane.

Keep in mind that the octane levels you are being quoted are probably measured by a different form of measurement than normal gasoline uses (R+M/2), so there will not be any direct relationship between the numbers.

·
Ultimate Procrastinator
142 Posts
JagdStealth said:

Burning cooler lets you make more power...

Burning cooler lets you make more power by upping the boost, but a cooler flame has inherently less energy to produce the same power as a hotter flame (under the same conditions).

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Use toulene or Xylene instead. You can use about a 30% mix of those vs. 10% of ethanol.

They are 115-117 oct.

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
Use toulene and remember to mix in some ATF for lubricant.

You should just get Water/Alky or Propane injection though. Constantly having to mix VERY volitile fuels like that is not fun..Been there done that...

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate everyones imput. I am going to add 10% of the ethanol to my already 93 octane 100% gas. This should achieve an octane rating of 95.2. I will in the mean time check to see where I can get the toulene. Since it is getting cold here in Indiana I probably will be putting my car up for the winter anyway. The alky/water injection how much does this allow you to increase the boost up to?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts