Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to my other temperature related problem (not getting much heat to blow into the passenger compartment) I also have noticed that my temperature gauge is displaying temps that it never did before.

My car always used to warm up to about the halfway point and remain there. Now I notice that it stays around the middle, then it will rise almost all the way to the red, then it will go back down to the middle, etc. Luckily, I haven't overheated yet.

When I pulled into my driveway last night I noticed that the temp was beginning its upward climb, so I left it running and popped the hood. I saw the fan spinning, but it had clicked off and was slowing to a stop. Even though my temp was almost to the red the fan didn't kick back on.

What triggers that fan to blow? It seems that this is related in some way to my 'no heat (or very little) blowing into the passenger compartment' problem because they occurred at the exact same time.

This really sucks....

I noticed this shit after I blew my alternator fusible link by trying to jump my battery with the cables reversed :eek:

Is the fan turning off/on related to the thermostat in any way? I have a new thermostat but didn't put it in yet and am hoping that this solves at least one of my two problems.

If not, then I know I must have fried some kind of sensor or something by having the cables reversed. All fuses are fine now.

Damn...

Doug

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
That's the first sign the thermostat is on its way out. When it gets really hot and then returns to normal (especially when you first start the car in the morning), it's about to fail.

Swap it out, problem solved.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope so!

I guess I'd better change it out while it's still warm outside then.

How about the fan? Is it turning on/off at all connected to the thermostat?

Doug

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree - it looks like the thermostat. To answer your other question (is fan on/off related), I took a quick look at the schematics - it appears to be related - two of the temp sensors look like they measure radiator temp. This means when you have a malfunctioning thermostat, the hot water from the engine may not make it to the radiator - this causes the radiator to keep artificially cool, which would cause the fans to cut off.

Swap the thermostat, then see what you have.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Pak is right. The same thing happens to DSMs with failed or failing thermostats. What appears to be a fan-related problem is actually caused by the water failing to circulate and thus failing to get hot and not triggering the fans.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is great news!

I will let you know after the swap if it corrected the problem(s).

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts