Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problems with acceleration. When taking off, the car gets up to about 4500 rpm and then doesn't seem to pull any more. Could it be my plugs? The car runs fine besides that. Also bought a reconditioned rear turbo from Majestic Turbochargers in Waco Texas ($600.00). After having it installed I notice a strange smell like nail polish remover coming into the car when turbo kicks in. The sound of the new turbo also sounds more like a thrushhh rather than a whine like it did before I changed it. Mechanic who changed turbo didn't remove intake and took a long time to do. Did this to save on gaskets. Would it have been better to remove intake?

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
See my earlier post. missing? stumbling? lack of power? I might have an answer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have no advice about the turbo but I had a similar problem with my RT/TT when I first bought it. After the car warmed up it lose power from 4k to 5k rpm and then kick back in again. I had the 60k service done and since then it has ran like a bat out of hell. I am pretty sure it was the plugs that caused this. Also check your plug wires and your fuel system (ie filter and pressure).
Jeremy
94 RT/TT

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Smell could be an exhaust leak (perhaps also causing the whoosh sound). Should have done both turbos. If one went, how much better could the second one be?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Jody,
I have the same problem with my 96 Vr4...it used to run like HELL MAD FAST..but then somehow after 4500rpm the engine makes so much noise that it feels like only one turbo is working....b4 the engine was effortlesss but now it seems that I am forcing the engine so much...I really don't know why? I only have 35k miles on it so far...I have a boost controller set at 15psi... and it maintains boost at that boost on 3rd, etc...but I was told that on 2nd gear that it drops too much...I see like 10psi on second gear near 4500rpm after spiking 14psi...e-mail me at [email protected] if you find any answers ok? that that goes with everybody else also....thanks!!! And also there is a hissing noise (seems under the plenum) and I followed Matt (dynamic racing) and mike91TT's advice to spray carburator cleaner around the area but found nothing!!! So Please help cuz been driving the car like this for 2 years!!!!!!!! I think it's the wastegate that's got unbalanced so I am saving some money to upgrade them to 13gs and at the same time calibrate the wastegates...but this is only a guess...there's gotta be something else. I had an earlier post that said that after I took it to a dealership for clutch check...I got it back and put new oil (mobil 1) in the engine and then took it for a highway spin...I depressed the throttle half way and saw the stock gauge hit 14psi...and heard some faint turbo whine...then 3 seconds later (pedal at same position) it hit me...another louder whine could be heard...as if I had sequential turbos!!!!! but now it's been running like your car...sucks!! any ideas????

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
I did a tune up tonight and had the battery unhooked so the computer would get use to the
new plugs. The car stumbled and missed and the idle was unsteady. It also keep dying
every time I took it for a test drive even though it ran ok before but did not have the
power it should. I found the problem after a lot of searching. The hose that runs from the Y
pipe intake had a large hole in it at the bottom where it had been rubbing against another
hose next to the transmission. This is the hose that runs to the BOV or what ever it is
called. It is the hose half way up the Y pipe running down to the BOV. (turbo bypass) Anyways it was a large vacuum leak. I could not see it but felt
the bottom of the hose. The computer had compensated over time to make up the
difference but when I unhooked the power and re set the computer it did not know what to
do. If you are having problem check for a leak. I hope this helps someone else.

[This message has been edited by Paul H. (edited December 22, 1999).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts