Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 95 3000gt sl that is not running due to engine problems. I have decided to pull the engine and either have someone do a rebuild or go ahead and just do an engine swap.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what is the best option for an engine swap? I have been reading alot about the 6g74 engine swap but I was just wondering if there were any other better options?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Stock will be cheapest.
6g74 is great choice if your staying n/a
or TT swap
or n/a motor with TT conversion

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered doing a TT conversion but from everything I read you are going to be pouring alot of money into it. What would the perks and cons be between the stock 6g72 and the 6g74?

The 6g74 is a little bit bigger engine which is nice but is it worth the extra money?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Ls1 swap is pretty legit

Otherwise the other two popular options are the ford 302, or the 2jz-gte engines

Some say, a 4g63 has been done.

Or an aston martin v10
Or a john deer two stroke
Or a viper v10
Or the 4b11
Or a jaguar v10
Or the electronic motor supplement system from a prius
Or the lambo v10
Or a blender, so you can make shakes and smoothies while you creep down the highway

......................... :D

But i all seriousness.

If your looking for REAL power, tt engine swap, the shortblock internals (rods/crank) are the same between the two, pistons differ. You can get a set of npr powder forged tt replacement pistons and rings on ebay for cheap and recondition the rods/crank if theyre good.

Theres some great writeups on the tt conversion, and if your going to do it, nows the best time to look as you need an engine anyway.

Stock tt engine has been taken over 700awhp a FEW times successfully, and over 600 for the daily grind alot. The auto tranny can hold around 550-600fwhp with a big tranny cooler. The fwd 5 speed will break, they like to blow the diff, as well as misc other things

Ill try to post the link for some of the tt conversion writeups, the hardest part is the wiring harness and injector resistor pack, otherwise everything bolts on.

O, and you will be spending more to source a 6g74 and to drop it in vs sourcing tt headers, 9bs/13gs/13Ts for cheap hollowed precats anx an ebay dp. Wiring, lines, smic are practically given away, and boom. Just some tunning. Theres been some kits sold for 6-700 for the whole shebang from people who have upgraded and are looking to clean their garage. I could point you in the direction of some parts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm kinda leaning towards the blender option... smoothies would be a nice touch in the summer. :D

My car is a 5sp manual so would I need to replace the tranny as well if I did the TT conversion?

Also thank you for the help. The ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
No, the n/a trans bolts up to the TT engine as they are the same engines with small differences such as compression ratio.

Some people will say the FWD trans is too weak and will not handle the power forever, but IMO its all in the driver.

seen those transmissions hold 500whp no problem all day long

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I would prefer to keep it around $2000 and a tt swap seemed to be quite expensive which is why I was thinking a 6g74 swap would be the best option. But if a tt conversion would be better and if my trans will hold up I might have to go with that. Still just trying to figure out what the best option for my money would be.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Did you get that pm i sent?

·
under the knife again
2,468 Posts
im swapping a tt motor in and trying to take my time...

im at about 4 grand on the motor.... 120k... freshin the heads.... and relace all seals.

the 74 swap will cost about 2... and thats doing it yourself

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also considering a 6G74 swap or rebuild due to troubles with my 94 sl. I've got ~190k on the current motor, so I'm leaning toward the 6G74. It is a "younger" motor, and from what I've read, it is nearly plug and play.(depending on you skill level)

"There's no replacement for displacement."

There is also the potential for gains in the future with a TT conversion on the 6G74 after the wallet recovers. ;-)

Like I said, I'm leaning toward the 6G74, but I wouldn't mind hearing more opinions on the topic before making the leap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I have a 95 3000gt sl that is not running due to engine problems. I have decided to pull the engine and either have someone do a rebuild or go ahead and just do an engine swap.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what is the best option for an engine swap? I have been reading alot about the 6g74 engine swap but I was just wondering if there were any other better options?
A 3.5 ecoboost would be a cool swap that I've thought of. The Taurus sho has 365 hp stock and easily tuned for 400.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
My daily is a 3,5 Ecoboost - good power yeah, but the direct injection has brought me all kinds of issues with now 3 different trucks way before i even got close to 100k miles.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,184 Posts
holy thread bump guys :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts