Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about trying to put a 4g63T (4cyl. turbo dsm engine) into my fwd 3000GT. I think it would be good project (if I decide to keep it). I just need a donor car and some extra money to get started.

I think the only problems would be:
1) welding new brackets for the motor mounts.
2) re-wiring the car so that every thing works.

How does this project sound?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
that would be a nice DOWNGRADE, why the hell would you switch to a less powerful engine? If you dislike power and torque that much then just run the car without an engine at all, or maybe some bicycle gears and pedals.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
ok I read your post again and I see its more like a project, and I mean it would be unique, but isn't the point to make the engine, bigger, better, more powerful? Now if you were dropping a 6G72 into the dsm body than I would say hell yeah, that shit would MOVE. The new eclipses have 6G72's but they are heavier.

·
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SamAlam said:
that would be a nice DOWNGRADE, why the hell would you switch to a less powerful engine? If you dislike power and torque that much then just run the car without an engine at all, or maybe some bicycle gears and pedals.
1) More potential than the non turbo 6G72 engine (while almost the same power output stock).
2) Less expensive initial cost than the turbo 6G72 engine.
3) It should weight less.
4) I have less than $800 total into my 3000GT and its my 3rd car so I could care less how long it takes to build it.
5) More available aftermarket parts.
6) Less expensive aftermarket parts.
7) Buschur Racing is less than 45 minutes away if I need help.
8) Its something different (nobody has this setup)

·
I wear a gorilla vest.
4,391 Posts
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing for the exact same reasons...keep us posted on how it turns out. I think its a very good idea for a project.

-Remy

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
i say go for it. Nobody complained when top secret put a mr2 motor in a supra.
That's probably because the Supra is RWD and moving the engine farther back in the car improved the weight balance. Top Secret also did it to showcase their excellent mechanical and fabrication skills. It's the same reason they stuffed an RB26 into a Supra. Not because it was better, but simply because they could.

I just don't see any benefit to this 4G63 thing at all. The cost benefits are ruined simply by trying to mount the thing in the car. Sure the motor is cheaper, but then you have mounts, intake plumbing, exhaust, electronics, fuel supply, emissions (if you live in a smog Nazi state) transmission operation, and axles. Were you planning on keeping your air conditioning, heater and power steering? All of these things need to be taken into consideration as well.

A 6G72, while costing a bit more for the engine alone, bolts right in without a single modifcation to the car itself and comes with an additional 100 hp and 100 lb/ft of torque right out of the box. A friend of mine had to install a bigger turbo and a fuel controller, as well as a bunch of minor mods on his 95 TSi and spend some time on the dyno just to even keep up with my twin turbo ES. Last time we ran, we were dead even. Once I get my el cheapo 13Gs installed and match the fuel mods he has, I'm going to blow his ass into the weeds :D

I love the 4G63 as much as anyone (probably more than I like my 6 cyl TT :p) but I really fail to see why anyone would think this is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Vr4me said:

1) More potential than the non turbo 6G72 engine (while almost the same power output stock).
2) Less expensive initial cost than the turbo 6G72 engine.
3) It should weight less.
4) I have less than $800 total into my 3000GT and its my 3rd car so I could care less how long it takes to build it.
5) More available aftermarket parts.
6) Less expensive aftermarket parts.
7) Buschur Racing is less than 45 minutes away if I need help.
8) Its something different (nobody has this setup)
I asked the same question for the same reasons. Mainly for points 5 and 6.

·
Vr-4 Evr
2,027 Posts
Gatecrasher said:

That's probably because the Supra is RWD and moving the engine farther back in the car improved the weight balance. Top Secret also did it to showcase their excellent mechanical and fabrication skills. It's the same reason they stuffed an RB26 into a Supra. Not because it was better, but simply because they could.

I just don't see any benefit to this 4G63 thing at all. The cost benefits are ruined simply by trying to mount the thing in the car. Sure the motor is cheaper, but then you have mounts, intake plumbing, exhaust, electronics, fuel supply, emissions (if you live in a smog Nazi state) transmission operation, and axles. Were you planning on keeping your air conditioning, heater and power steering? All of these things need to be taken into consideration as well.

A 6G72, while costing a bit more for the engine alone, bolts right in without a single modifcation to the car itself and comes with an additional 100 hp and 100 lb/ft of torque right out of the box. A friend of mine had to install a bigger turbo and a fuel controller, as well as a bunch of minor mods on his 95 TSi and spend some time on the dyno just to even keep up with my twin turbo ES. Last time we ran, we were dead even. Once I get my el cheapo 13Gs installed and match the fuel mods he has, I'm going to blow his ass into the weeds :D

I love the 4G63 as much as anyone (probably more than I like my 6 cyl TT :p) but I really fail to see why anyone would think this is a good idea.

i agree there's no real benefit to doing it. It would be something to do just to say you did it. Also the main reason top secret put a rb26dett in a supra is because nagata, the owner, likes the revs of the RB but the aerodynamics of the supra.

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
i agree there's no real benefit to doing it. It would be something to do just to say you did it. Also the main reason top secret put a rb26dett in a supra is because nagata, the owner, likes the revs of the RB but the aerodynamics of the supra.
Man...Nagata is a few sushi rolls short of a bento box, ok? :D That man is NOT playing with a full deck. He's like some sort of crazy mad scientist with a hard-on for driving stupidly fast on public roads and building cars that are an abomination against nature.

I so want to be him :D

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Some of you are talking out of your asses, a stock 89-91 4g63 can handle 400-500hp with supporting mods.

You could get an engine and ecu for less than 1500, if it is a 90-91 model jspec it will be in god condition.

Also you could probably change the differental out so the axles would work(with a little fabrication).

You wouldnt really need to change that much the engine mounts are in a similar setup.

BUT you would probably be better off just buying a first gen dsm with a blow engine and droping the j spec in it.

Also with the time and money you spend on this project you could just get a twin setup like jb, if your engine is in good shape you should still be able to make the same hp as a 4g63. You would need race gas though.

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Some of you are talking out of your asses, a stock 89-91 4g63 can handle 400-500hp with supporting mods.
Agreed. The 4G63 is very potent. But then, so is the 6G72. It'll support upwards of 500 hp with a set of 15Gs and some fuel.

You could get an engine and ecu for less than 1500, if it is a 90-91 model jspec it will be in god condition.
Also true. But what will it cost you to get those electronics working in your car? And usually, $1500 motors are not known for "supporting 400-500 hp" You get what you pay for. It seems that as many people here have had bad experiences with JDM engines as have had ood experiences.

Also you could probably change the differental out so the axles would work(with a little fabrication).
A 3S differential would fit....but then, that's not the problem. The position of the differential inside the car would likely be different. The axle LENGTH is the problem. Keep in mind that, while the 4 cylinder motor is smaller overall than the 6 cylinder, it's also longer. (3 inline cylinders vs 4) Positioning the engine in the bay to accomodate the stock axle placement would present an interesting set of challenges, if it's even possible at all.

You wouldnt really need to change that much the engine mounts are in a similar setup.
Not really. In addition to the placement problem I mentioned above, the DSM motor has two of it's mounts much lower down and mounted to the front and rear of the transmission. Not higher up on the block like our motor.

BUT you would probably be better off just buying a first gen dsm with a blow engine and droping the j spec in it.
Exactly. That car is smaller and MUCH lighter than a 3S. The difference in weight alone makes up for the power defecit between the two cars.

Also with the time and money you spend on this project you could just get a twin setup like jb, if your engine is in good shape you should still be able to make the same hp as a 4g63. You would need race gas though.
You can get up around 300 hp on pump gas, if you're careful. Spend just a little more and change out to some of the twin turbo parts (namely pistons) and you can boost a hell of a lot more than that. I like JBs car and all, but catch him on the street without his race gas and even a mildly built VR4 would show him taillights.

·
442 Posts
You would be better off tryin to put that engine in a conquest/starion...hell, if you could get the awd in that bad boy too I would cream my pants

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Gate, you also need to take into consideration which year.

My car is a 2nd gen with a first gen engine.

On a second gen there is 3 mounts on the tranny and only one mount on the driverside. First gen is the oppisite with mounts on the engine and one on the tranny. But you can modify the first gen to fit in a second.

I bet you could have a place like raxles put any length axle on with any ends you want. I even have a set of both drive axles in my garage. They look so similar it is insane. I almost mixed them up :)

The electrical part wouldnt be simple but it wouldnt be horible either.

Just a wiring harness and an ecu.

Take a 2 week vacation and come down to texas and we will whip one out. We can even use awd...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You would be better of putting the 4g63 into either a 3s or a dsm with the starion tranny and rwd :)

But for that amount of time and effort you could just work on other peoples cars for 6 months and just but a vr4 or gsx with the profit.

Instead of spending 6 months working on your own :rolleyes:

·
3,108 Posts
My neighbor has a spare TSi AWD motor across the street. Should I get a price for you Carl?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.