Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 92 VR4 that is stock except for a down pipe and pre-cat eliminators. It was running fine one day and then the next day it wasn't.

The issue is that it idles well except for an intermittent sound that almost sound like popping in the exhaust that could be from a miss. You can rev the engine up in the driveway with no issue but as soon as you go to take it fro a drive the engine struggles and stumbles whether you do part throttle or full throttle. Once the RPMs go above about 3500 the engine seems to perform normally and has power.

I have already tried the following:

New O2 sensors
Tried swapping the ECU
New fuel filter
New fuel pump
New fuel pressure regulator solenoid
New blow off valve
New PTU
Tried a different fuel pump resistor from a working car
Tried the fuel pump resister bypass mod
Disconnected ECS

There are no codes being tripped in the ECU and all the values I can see on the data logger I have look normal to me and don't look different between idle and when the stumbling is happening.

The current mileage is about 71k and the 60k maintenance was done about 10k miles ago and included new plugs and wires. I verified the gap on the front plugs is set correctly and that the wires are good.

The next items I am going to try are possibly hot wire the fuel pump and a new fuel pressure regulator. Other then that I am out of ideas.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone has to help me resolve this.

·
Lovbyts
3,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check your TPS. Ive had issues with mine a couple of times and trouble shooting one right now. Id almost bet thats the problem. If not then its the MAF or a vacuum leak. Always good to do a pressure test on the system.

I second this, also a malfunctioning tps in these cars can destroy your ecu... so watch replace or check it ASAP. Be careful the tiny bolts on the tps are easily breakable from corrosion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts