Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I really need help so about 6 months ago I sent my motor off to be rebuilt. Well it did not turn out that way, sadly the guy I sent it off too and half assed his job and was hardy working on it so picked it up. Like it’s BEEN SIX MONTHS any who it’s been completely remachined, the heads are on, turbos rebuilt, and it’s timed. I got all the parts that go on the TT 6G72 but I don’t know where they go....😕 please help I’ve been so depressed with out my baby....

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,199 Posts
That sucks to hear, but at least most of the hard work is out of the way. Best advice is the same given to most... consult and study the FSM (factory service manual) that can be downloaded at no cost to you. Organize your parts and form a plan of attack. Afterward, any questions that you might still have will be more specific. We cannot really help you until you first help yourself [get started]

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
189 Posts
Before you do anything, send the "rebuilt" stuff to someone you trust & have it stripped and checked.

If a man can't organize his time well enough to do a relatively simple job in a timely manner, he probably can't "rebuild" anything properly either.

It would be a shame for you to go through all the effort of piecing the puzzle back together again, only to find that you've got to pull it all to bits again because he's done something wrong.

Start fresh, post some pics and show us what you've got.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,199 Posts
I guess he should elaborate further on what was done and has been done since acquiring it from the first guy. I interpreted "completely REmachined" as it was overhauled again for a second time, but who knows... could have been in pieces and machined once by another person.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bad I should elaborate more the long block is remachined this includes the crankshaft and case, cylinder walls, heads, and valves I’ll send more pictures in the morning

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so I have some pictures and I know where the thermostat goes I’m getting ready to put that on now I’m waiting on a gasket for the oil pickup how much can I accomplish from where I am I just need help putting the parts in their locations and such

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's tidier than I expected. The fact that it has all those loose bolts and nuts and washers sitting everywhere is the troubling bit for me. Go over the whole engine and pull those loose bits off, otherwise they'll get forgotten and ingested into the engine/timing belt.

Any idea what brand gaskets were used on it?

Have an engine reconditioner (you lot call them "machine shops" right?) check the bearing clearances on the bottom end and cast his eye over the bore condition. This will give you some indication of how competent the last guy was.

The timing belt tension doesn't look like it's been set correctly (tensioner extended too far) but this might just be from sitting for too long. Turn the engine over two full rotations so the timing marks line up again and take another photo of the timing belt side.

Go through every bolt on the timing belt side and make sure they're tight.

Also put up a photo of all the engine related parts you've got so I can see if there's anything obviously missing.

You've got a lot of work to do though.....it would take me a good 6 or so hours to get it from that point to having the engine/gearbox "assembly" ready to drop back into the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it ok to turn the motor over with no oil in it and I’ll send a pic in a couple mins

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hmmmm OK. It's fine to turn the engine over by hand with no oil. Keep turning it, get the camshaft timing marks re-aligned (like they were in the first pic) and then take another photo.

You've got a workshop manual right?

The major things I see missing in that pic:
Thermostat housing
Timing belt covers
Flywheel
Crank pulley

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just installed the thermostat, I have the belt covers on my desk along with the crank pulley, and my new flywheel is in a box

·
Registered
189 Posts
The timing belt has been tensioned wrong so start there.

If you're willing to take a punt on the engine, put it together in this order:
Oil pickup
Rear main seal
Sump
Lower intake manifold (have you got one?)
Timing belt covers
Oil filter housing
Front turbo oil feed line
Exhaust manifolds
Dipstick
Turbos
The rest of the turbo oil & water lines
Engine mount brackets
Downpipes
Coil
Power transistor
Spark plugs
HT leads
Intake plenum
Intake plenum brackets
Bell housing backing plate
Flywheel
Clutch
Gearbox
Bell housing brackets
Starter motor
A/C pump mounting bracket

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m trying to figure out which one of these is my front oil feed line and how it exactly fits

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,124 Posts
the one on the far right looks correct. The banjo fitting side goes at the top of the oil filter housing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you it’s slowly coming together with the turbos slowly working their what on makes the other lines easier

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do these water lines look correct on my turbos if not please tell me and direct me in the right directions

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,124 Posts
Its been a little while since I had the stock lines but from what I recall that looks correct.

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,124 Posts
In the last picture it would be the top left (goes to the top of the water neck). The other 2 go to the throttle body.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts