Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 92 vr4 with about 180k miles on it. She runs okay and is a daily driver. She does hesitate a little when giving gas. We are the second owners and have had it almost a yr and for the most part the previous owners took pretty good care of it. Were looking at doing a tune up on it, spark plugs, and the works. Compression is on the lower end but within specs with the highest being 132 and lowest 118. Were thinking maybe it's time to just do a rebuild? Wed be doing most the work ourself. I'm wondering if we should go the rebuild route, just do a tune up, or maybe look at just buying a new engine. I've been reading mixed reviews on it being cheaper to just buy an already rebuilt engine.

·
Doc
1,467 Posts
132 to 118 is quite the deviation - I'd recommend a rebuild at this time, if possible for you.

I assume you're looking for a stock rebuild - in which case you can expect to spend a few hundred at a machine shop, and as far as the rest, it depends the condition of your current parts (i.e. pistons, rods, crank).

Buying a used engine is always a gamble - it could have worse compression numbers than you current engine!

MSN, RN, FNP-BC, 66H

1 - 2 of 2 Posts