Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SL FWD
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, recently I rebuild my end clutch and the car was driving fine up until today. I was going about 70 on the interstate when suddenly my car jumped up to 9000rpm and started shaking. This stopped once I flipped off overdrive and drove without it. I thought it must be some electrical bug so after a couple miles switched it back on only for the problem to happen again. This time however the engine started making some noises that scared me so I took it out of overdrive and the same noise was there but it was driving fine. There’s no check engine light but I pulled over and had it towed to my house. I’ll try and record the noise tomorrow as well as checking for any leaks/ slack in my timing belt. If anyone has any other recommendations on what to check or has an idea of what the diagnosis might be it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,418 Posts
Letting your rpm's spike that high is NOT good
Over revving your engine like that probably damaged your rods bearings (Crank shaft to connecting arms to pistons)
" like a low end deep knock every revolution of the engine ?? "
If this is the case your in need of a rebuild

·
Registered
1995 SL FWD
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Letting your rpm's spike that high is NOT good
Over revving your engine like that probably damaged your rods bearings (Crank shaft to connecting arms to pistons)
" like a low end deep knock every revolution of the engine ?? "
If this is the case your in need of a rebuild
I did not willingly rev my car to 9000rpm, it just shot up while I was cruising. I just recorded a video of the noise and i’ll see if I can attach it here.

·
Registered
1995 SL FWD
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a strange sound. Can you take another video from the engine bay?
Here is the new video. August 6, 2022
Let me know what you guys think. If i’m going to have to rebuild the engine, i’m going to end up selling the car/parting it out. If it can last me a couple more months that’s great but that sound needs to go.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,418 Posts
Check your oil level with engine off
As your looking at the level make sure it doesn't have any silver glitter in it if it does this is bad
Sounds like this issue is in the cams
Failed Lifter / roller rocker
Sounds to fast in noise to be a rod knock

·
Registered
1995 SL FWD
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check your oil level with engine off
As your looking at the level make sure it doesn't have any silver glitter in it if it does this is bad
Sounds like this issue is in the cams
Failed Lifter / roller rocker
Sounds to fast in noise to be a rod knock
I just checked via dipstick and the oil level is at the second line, (full line). I took it out and cleaned it a few times, but I couldn’t see any metal. I’m going to take my timing belt cover off and see if there’s something going on under there

·
Registered
1995 SL FWD
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very well could be a failed tensioner
I took a look at the timing belt and it’s down securely with no tears or any sign of wear. I changed the belt and stuff with my “60k” service about 2000 miles ago. Right now i’m trying to clean out the lifters by running seafoam then following up with an oil change. I’ll keep you updated.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's a strange noise indeed. I agree with what Mr. Oil said, it sounds like a valvetrain noise, not unlike the sound of freshly installed hydraulic lash adjusters that haven't been bled correctly.

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with the engine treatment, if it doesn't make any difference then the next step would be to remove the valve cover (just the front one for now) and see what's gone wrong in there. Checking the valve clearances might shed some light on the problem.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,418 Posts
1 in a half to 2 table spoons full of Marvel mystery oil
Idled for 20 mins (DO NOT REV) then change the oil
If the sound doesn't go away almost immediately upon first 5 mins of crank up
Then will definitely have any issue that won't be fixed unless taken apart and narrowed down and fixed for sure
Marvel mystery oil will fix dirty lifters faster then any other oil treatment
Love this stuff and WD40 are your best friends

Also if you choose to use Marvel Mystery oil
To much added will wash out bearings you do not need to add more then 2 tables spoons in the oil
Oil will need to be changed after wards of treatment do not leave it in the oil it's meant to clean / flush
I'm not a seafoam kinda guy used it multiple times does nothing for me

But I don't think this is gonna fix any of the issues

Also I need you to check the bottom of your oil pan and make sure it isn't smashed flat from fixing your tranny.....
If you put a Jack there to Jack the engine up at any time
Your oil pans base is flat against the pick up tube and starving your engine of it's well needed oil supply
check this for me and make sure it has a nice dome shape to it and not flat strait across it

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
4,007 Posts
@maybemachew, The sound in last video sounded louder on passenger side of engine. I’d suggest a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down where the sound is coming from (loudest).

Since this all started with overdrive failing, there’s a chance the noise is coming from that area of trans (end clutch) even if overdrive is turned off. Also since RPM’s went so high there’s chance convert flexplate cracked of converter bolts loosened enough to cause that sound.

·
Registered
1995 SL FWD
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 in a half to 2 table spoons full of Marvel mystery oil
Idled for 20 mins (DO NOT REV) then change the oil
If the sound doesn't go away almost immediately upon first 5 mins of crank up
Then will definitely have any issue that won't be fixed unless taken apart and narrowed down and fixed for sure
Marvel mystery oil will fix dirty lifters faster then any other oil treatment
Love this stuff and WD40 are your best friends

Also if you choose to use Marvel Mystery oil
To much added will wash out bearings you do not need to add more then 2 tables spoons in the oil
Oil will need to be changed after wards of treatment do not leave it in the oil it's meant to clean / flush
I'm not a seafoam kinda guy used it multiple times does nothing for me

But I don't think this is gonna fix any of the issues

Also I need you to check the bottom of your oil pan and make sure it isn't smashed flat from fixing your tranny.....
If you put a Jack there to Jack the engine up at any time
Your oil pans base is flat against the pick up tube and starving your engine of it's well needed oil supply
check this for me and make sure it has a nice dome shape to it and not flat strait across it
When I did the end clutch rebuild I jacked the car up from the jack points on the side. As far as I know the oil pan hasn’t been warped in any way but i’ll take a look at one on google and see if there’s any difference.

·
Registered
1995 SL FWD
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@maybemachew, The sound in last video sounded louder on passenger side of engine. I’d suggest a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down where the sound is coming from (loudest).

Since this all started with overdrive failing, there’s a chance the noise is coming from that area of trans (end clutch) even if overdrive is turned off. Also since RPM’s went so high there’s chance convert flexplate cracked of converter bolts loosened enough to cause that sound.
I’ll see if I can have the shop that’s looking at it now can look at the torque converter. When I originally had my transmission rebuilt the torque converter failed and although I’m sure it was replaced during the rebuild I can’t say the same thing about the hardware. I’ll try the mystery oil and if that doesn’t work check under my valve cover for my rockers and lifters to see if everything is in order or if any metal is hanging around. If both of those fixes don’t work I’ll take a look at the torque converter and end clutch to see if anything is loose. Thanks for everyone’s input and Ill keep you updated. @box @Chang oil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts