Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine makes a constant clicking sound when it is cold outside. Is this still the lash adjusters or is it the lifters or water pump? I have noticed a minor coolant leak and wonder if this clicking sound is the water pump getting ready to go out. Any thought would be most appreciated. Thanks.

·
Lovbyts
4,270 Posts
It is probably you lash adjusters which are part of you valve setup. It is not your valves themselves. If it was you valves you would be in big trouble. It also could be your injectors. Even if your lash adjusters work perfectly you will hear a faint ticking sound which is actually you injectors. I don't think your water pump would make a clicking sound but if the leak is coming from you pump don't forget to get you timing belt changed at the same time. They have to take you belt off anyway so don't let them charge you anything extra except for the price of the belt which should only be around $100. Call there parts department to price the belt before having it done. Use the stock belt so it is warrantied. Even if you have had your belt changed not to long ago have it done because it probably has been contaminated by the antifreeze and could cause the belt to give out early. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul H.

How can you tell if it is actually your valves that are bad or just the lash adjusters or the injectors. My car has 75,000 miles and I just had the complete tune-up done at 55,000. I haven't ever had the injectors cleaned. In the summer, the car makes the clicking sound for only about 10-15 seconds, but in the winter time it makes the clicking sound constantly.

·
Lovbyts
4,270 Posts
I have 75,000 on one and 170,000 on my other Stealth. If it was the valves you would have bad compression and they would end up breaking. If they touch had enough to make sound then they are going to disintegrate in a short time. I'm sure it is just the oil level has not built up when you first start the car and in the winter try using a lighter grade oil. Are you using Mobil 1? Use a full synthetic and use either a stock oil filter or a Purolator. They both have the anti flow back valve in them that the Fram does not..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul H.

I haven't used the Mobil 1 oil. Will this help the problem? I have had the oil changed at the dealer and got the factory oil filter. I am due for an oil change and I will be getting on done on Monday. I will try to find a place that has Mobil 1 and I will try it out. I need to get my water pump looked at also since I have noticed a small anti-freeze leak under the drivers side. I will go ahead and get a new timing belt again if this is the problem while they have it off. I also think I may have an exhaust leak up front also. It was cold out by my house last night and I looked under the car and I could see some exhaust fumes coming from up front of the car also. I may need a new exhaust system as well.

·
Lovbyts
4,270 Posts
Most of us use Mobil 1 because it is fully synthetic and has a good reputation. I actually have a Wal-Mart near by that does the Mobil 1 job cheaper than what I could get if for. $18.99 including filter, but they want to use Fram. You might have to pay a little extra for Purolator or bring a stock filter. The exhaust leak might actually be the source of your ticking. I would get that fixed most defiantly but would not worry to much about upgrading unless it is rusted out or you just want to. If you are having a leak on the drivers side I would bet that it is the waterpump. I think it is the seal that goes out on these. They use a oring and they seem to give out about every 70 - 100,000. Good luck. If you have any questions you can also e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Pacific Islander
171 Posts
I have the same problem with my 91 es, it recently got worst because of the cold i beilieve, i just put fuel injector cleaner and am due for an oil change, hopefully that will do something, my tranny light goes on and off also, wonder if they are related.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how cold does it get for you guys ??

I'm around -30`C (-20`F)... if the car has been sitting around at this temperature startup is pretty noisy.. I get a loud wwwrrnnnggg-rrrrmmm.. noisy.. I think its the belt needing to warm up.. noise stops very quickly..

though i do get this faint ticking noise.. could be the injectors.. I'll add a cleaner to the tank a little later.. all my fluids are topped up.

how loud of a tick are we talking about ? like I said mine seems a bit faint.. though playing with the clutch after the belt noise goes away seems to somehow alter the amount of noise the ticking make..

starting in this weather condition is excellent.. always started the car on the first atempt (knock on wood)...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have just had my 60,000 tune up and this noise has just started. The colde the weather the longer it lasts after starting the car. It only seems to last for about 5 mins. I have never had this problem until the "tune up"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.