Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 94 3000gt SL for about 3 years now and I've recently re sealed my engine and had my transmission swapped out. When I put my engine back in and installed the trans, I took it out for a test drive and my oil pressure dropped down to zero and shortly after my engine started to knock. I also noticed that when ever my transmission hit 3rd gear it would just stall my engine out. I would have to rev my car to keep my engine alive and keep in mind its an automatic. So now im stuck, I turn the engine and it just knocks louder and louder now. I don't know what is going on with it. Im thinking maybe it is just the oil pump. So does anyone knows what going?

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,319 Posts
What exactly does RESEALING your engine mean? And, why did you swap out your transmission, AND more importantly was this a USED transmission and who did this work?

I hope I am wrong, but from your description, No oil pressure and knocking, would mean that you have spun bearings...

As for the transmission, while I have not owned an auto 3000, I have read of lots of issues with them.

I know I am NOT a ray of sunshine, so I am hoping that some of our resident mechanics/experts will chime in...

Good Luck,

Bob.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,931 Posts
If I had to guess, I’d say the torque converter was not seated in trans pump correctly when bolted to engine. That jammed transmission pump which in turn pushed crank towards front (timing belt end) which burnt out crank thrust journal, destroying that bearing (oil pressure to zero) and pump plus parts in transmission. If correct you got major repair and cost on your hands. Sorry and hoping I’m wrong, but have seen it before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What exactly does RESEALING your engine mean? And, why did you swap out your transmission, AND more importantly was this a USED transmission and who did this work?

I hope I am wrong, but from your description, No oil pressure and knocking, would mean that you have spun bearings...

As for the transmission, while I have not owned an auto 3000, I have read of lots of issues with them.

I know I am NOT a ray of sunshine, so I am hoping that some of our resident mechanics/experts will chime in...

Good Luck,

Bob.
I removed the engine as a class project and got the heads resurfaced, new valve seats, got the valves grinded and I added new seals to the water pump, valve cover, new head gaskets, I also got new belts. I got everything mostly on the top part of the engine but I did not do anything to block(now looking back I should have). I swapped the transmission it came with because it was slipping and when I would stop at a light it wouldn't engage. My class and I did this work as a semester grade. Since I'm in college to be technician. But since it was my first time, I didn't want to touch the block.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the engine as a class project and got the heads resurfaced, new valve seats, got the valves grinded and I added new seals to the water pump, valve cover, new head gaskets, I also got new belts. I got everything mostly on the top part of the engine but I did not do anything to block(now looking back I should have). I swapped the transmission it came with because it was slipping and when I would stop at a light it wouldn't engage. My class and I did this work as a semester grade. Since I'm in college to be technician. But since it was my first time, I didn't want to touch the block.
Sorry I forgot to mention I got the transmission from a salvage yard, so that could explain it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I had to guess, I’d say the torque converter was not seated in trans pump correctly when bolted to engine. That jammed transmission pump which in turn pushed crank towards front (timing belt end) which burnt out crank thrust journal, destroying that bearing (oil pressure to zero) and pump plus parts in transmission. If correct you got major repair and cost on your hands. Sorry and hoping I’m wrong, but have seen it before.
I also have coolant in my oil somehow even though I changed both head gaskets. But if it is what you think it is would I basically need a new engine and trans? but thanks, I haven't run it in a while. hopefully my crank hasn't gotten too much damaged.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,931 Posts
I also have coolant in my oil somehow even though.......
That's a major clue that would change thought process. You might have just wiped out bearings in engine and not hurt transmission. But with the knocking, no oil pressure and stalling (binding), if this is case I suspect the short block assembly is toast.

But yes, if it was improperly installed torque converter it would require at least short block and transmission replacement. Or significant repair of both.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,931 Posts
Can you explain in detail how transmission was installed to engine, that may have clue if it was improperly installed torque converter.

Like did transmission easily slide up flush to engine block by hand before instilling bolts? Or did you have to use bolts to pull transmission flush to block?

After transmission was bolted to block did converter turn easily by hand to line up bolt bosses to flex plate bolt holes? Or did you have to force converter to turn and pry flex plate to get it to clear converter bolt bosses?

Worse would be, was converter bolted to flex plate before transmission was aligned to it and transmission bolted to engine?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts