Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dodge dealer service tech advized me sit down today..
$1,000+ for a ECM to get my '92 Stealth R/T DOHC running.

Any advice on where to find the part at a better price?

From what I can tell, this is a simple job to replace the module.. or am I missing something.. maybe some sort of diagnostic machine only the dealer has?

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
for one thing.. new parts from the dealer are ALWAYS expensive.. and secondly, new parts from a Dodge dealer are always MORE expensive than from Mitsubishi..

You could find a used TT ECU for $100 probably.. There is a company in Florida that fixes old ones for $50

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
OldGuy92RT said:
SilverBullet,

Would you have any contact info for the used/repair places you mentioned?

Thanks!!
1-800-257-3395
That place repairs them. Located in FL.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
OldGuy92RT said:
The Dodge dealer service tech advized me sit down today..
$1,000+ for a ECM to get my '92 Stealth R/T DOHC running.

Any advice on where to find the part at a better price?

From what I can tell, this is a simple job to replace the module.. or am I missing something.. maybe some sort of diagnostic machine only the dealer has?
They're smoking CRACK

An ECM/ECU can be had used for under $300 like the other guys said, and replacement takes all of about 30 minutes if you know where the hell it is. (behind the stereo, center console parts must be removed)

It'd be cheaper for you to have it towed to your house, and find a used ECU and install it yourself. It's a very simple procedure; When you receive it, do a search on this board, or post a request to me, and we'll teach you how to do it.

Elton

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,854 Posts
This will help....

http://car-part.com/

Put in year, model, and engine control module.

It gives you a list of everything available in the US.

Hope this helps.

Bob.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Most mechanics and shops will not fix things with rebuilt parts without some sort of warranty. They are not going to buy an ECU that may not work right and put it in your car so you can keep bringing it back to them until they fix it right. A dealership will always replace with new parts and the computer does cost almost $1000 new so he is not ripping you off. Instead, you should go to M&S and get one off the many 3000gt cars they have in stock and put it in yourself (real easy)

Sam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great advice from everyone!!
This message board is really outstanding.

I wound up ordering from M&S Recyclying.. $400 plus overnight shipping.. $470 total. The dealer did agreed to install it. I was ready to give it a try, but figured I might as well use up the $65 minimum dealer charge. I expect they will 'find' something else to work on before I get the final bill, but thats another battle.

Anyway, looks like ya'll saved me about $500 bucks.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Helping each other try to save money and problems is one of the big things we do for each other here. Glad it worked out so well for you! If you felt like kicking something back from your savings to help support the site it would be greatly appreciated. Money to support this board has been tight lately. ;)

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
If you had been a little more patient we could have maybe saved you another $395 dollars. Usually all that is wrong with our ECMs is that the capacitors have leaked. There is a guy here on the board that sells the set of three you need for $5.00 (includes shipping). I have instructions at my web page below for R&Ring the ECM. I can't tell you how to replace the capacitors, but a DSM tech site has instructions for theirs, which is very similar.

http://www.geocities.com/lutransys/jlucius5/j5-2-ecmremoval.htm

Please remember that dealers very, very often tell you that the ECM needs replaced when in reality that will not fix the problem. You need to be prepared for this possibility.

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
ECU repair

Usually when the ECU shorts out completely its too late for replacing capacitors. Technomotive give the following warning signs for Bad capacitors in ECU.

- A rapid clicking or chattering from under the dash. Usually accompanied with the engine stalling or losing power during the noise. This is the microcontroller going into reset over and over and over again due to a bad power supply. Every time it resets, it will turn the fuel pump relay on and off. This could also be a bad fuel pump relay, but not usually.
- An usual smell that seems to come from the center console. Especially if it smells like rotten seafood. Consider that it could also be your heater fan motor, unless accompanied with a power loss or stalling.
- Your car is older than seven years and sees a lot of extreme temperature transitions.
If you experience either of the first two problems above, act on them as soon as possible. Even though your car may still be drivable, the longer you let the problem go the more likely you will end up with a hole in your ECU's PC board or with several blown components on the board. Then you will have to dig a unit up in the junkyard or buy a new one from Mitsubishi for $1100.

Digikeys sells the capacitors but charges around $10 for shipping and handling. This irritated me so I bought 100 sets (3 Capacitors each). I have been selling them for $5 a set, still have about 70 sets left. See the link in my signature for full details.

See picture below for ECU location. The 3 yellow connectors used be hooked to ECU, I had the ECU out at time of this picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts