Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had their engine bay empty at the moment and could do measurements for me, or if anyone already has. I am interested in putting in a cobra motor + tranny w/ an 8.8 rear end over the winter. But the size of all of these seem to be the biggest limitations, so I was wondering how close the fit is to the original engine bay. Also wondering if anyone has any other suggestions on what could easily fit. The ford 302 I am guessing would be an easier fit, but I really want to drop in one of those 03 cobra setups.

These are the engine specs

Engine Dimensions
Engine Height Depth Width
4.6 SOHC 26" 23 5/8" 26 5/8"
4.6 DOHC 27 1/8" 23 5/8" 26 5/8"
5.4 SOHC 28" 23 5/8" 27"
5.4 DOHC 35 1/2" 23 5/8" 28 1/4"

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to keep the bay as close to stock as possible, the rest I know is going to have to be fabbed, and thats not a big problem, I'm planning on it as a winter project, funds aren't a big issue either, the price of these mustang parts are ridiculously cheap compared to what we seem to have to shell out.

· Evolved Member
1,104 Posts
What do you plan on doing with the exhaust? Running true dual may be tough since there is not much space

· Premium Member
3,295 Posts
SHiVeR-91VR4 said:
Someone put a v8 in their car before, I think it was called like VR440 or something.

Cool project.

I just remember I think he had to do something with the rad to make it fit the right way in the bay.

pm vr440

he put a mopar 440 in one so im sure hell have alot of usefull info for you.

· Aged Member
1,242 Posts
If I remember VR440 had to completely cut the front off and put a tube chasis in with new suspension and all.

· Registered
5,811 Posts
The engine should fit fine, its the trans thats going to be a bitch. I hope you are prepared to take a sawzall to the firewall and part of the driveshaft tunnel to make it fit. Adapting a new steering rack should be fun too considering that subframe crossmember will have to go.

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VR440 started with a VR-4 that was in a front end collision so he just custom built it all. At least one other forum member has done it though, and they did not have to redo the entire front end to the best of my knowledge, waiting on pics from him now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts