Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
please help a fellow member out.....

my water pump seized up about two weeks ago. my car was idling in the driveway and when the pulley froze it started burning the timing belt. (good thing i wasn't on the freeway!!) well i started pulling it apart and decided it'd probably be easier to just pull the engine and check everything out. this is my first engine pull and my second tranny pull. i just have some questions to make sure i don't destroy this thing;) .

1. how do you properly break the bolts loose on the timing gears?

2. where can i find detailed instructions for resetting the timing?

3. i didn't think to do my compression test until most of the components were off the engine, i.e. the intake manf., all turbo piping, and i jumped the car to crank it. my numbers were all way off. do i need to replace all the components and re-do it to get accurate #'s, or is my engine shot?? i did overheat once when my WP went. the car was running pretty good until it stalled with the seized pump.

4. how much do the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros cost from kormex, crs?

5. there is some rust on my output shaft (teeth look "okay") and in my T- case, why would this happen if there was oil in there?

6. what do you pros use to properly seal the tranny up so that it doesn't leak?

i'm sure i'll think of more in the time to come,
thanks,

·
1,568 Posts
First visit Jeff Lucuis' site at http://www.stealth316.com/0-frames.htm . Then do a search on 3SI for Transmission and you will find lots of info. You can also contact kormex, crs on latest prices.

·
hellbent in a dodge Viper
8,699 Posts
I recently experienced "resetting" my timing from scratch.

It actually wasnt that bad. Check alot of my posts as I searched and searched.

I had a member close to me who had done it come and help me.

Then I wen't over it with a fine tooth comb. Started the car and it runs great.

the trick is there are marks on the back of the cam gears that you align. and then align the bottom crank, once you get those set up you thread the belt through(get all new parts also and a timing tensioner tool). You will have to fight the cam gears to get it tight and HOLD them tight as you weave the belt on. Read the manual in GREAT detail also.

What I would do is practice once or twice with your old belt, save it just to practice. Turn the engine over with the crank and a breaker bar and you should get compression.

I don't think i could have done this with the engine not out of the car my first time. It was a slight bitch lets just say.

I even got a new bottom crank pulley gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.