Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears I waited a few months too long to get around to replacing a lot of of the rubber bits on my car. The lower side window weatherstrip was just discontinued a few weeks back and I've been informed that both the headlight rubber trim and the upper door weatherstrip are also gone only after ordering from one of the parts websites last night. Considering how common it is for all these to go bad I can't say I'm too optimistic that it'll be fun to keep these things going when significantly more important components get the axe. It doesn't exactly take high level engineering to make these so I've gotta wonder if another company can pick up the slack, there should be decent enough demand to make a profit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah knowing that places like 3SX are hanging in there and still making new designs gives me some hope. The combination of a platform that didn't even have great support in its early days and a manufacturer that's nuked all of its brand image in recent years isn't good but I didn't get into these cars cause I thought it would be easy or financially stable.

·
Registered
1991 Dodge Stealth ES 5sp
42 Posts
Take care of your rubber seals. I regularly condition weatherstrips on my vehicles with gummi pflege and it has done wonders - especially through the cold winters where I am.

I've had a couple cars with frameless windowed doors and they frost/stick to the weatherstrips if they are not conditioned.

I had a weatherstrip along the targa top on one of my cars rip - used some superglue and gummi pflege and it's holding up great.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I hope someday these parts will be manufactured again, but I am not too confident Mitsubishi will. I suspect some aftermarket variations will come out. Toyota launched a "heritage" program and they have brought back some parts for the Supra but nothing anyone really wants yet. I'd love to see trim pieces, floor mats, and door panels. Nissan has a heritage program too but I know nothing about that.

I've been trying to stock up on Mitsubishi stuff in case I ever repaint one of my vr4s. A fresh paint job looks so much better with all new seals. I saw this happen in the Supra world. For the Supra the drivers A pillar seal has been discontinued. It was around $33 new if I recall. One guy was bumping a WTB thread for about 2 years looking for one as he had every other seal new. I saw a new OEM one still in package show up on ebay. Not sure if that guy bought it or not, but it went for $1000 shipped via Buy it Now. Supra floor mats were around $120 from the dealer new when available and now a set still in packaging sells for $600-800.

I've been slowly hoarding parts since the 99 turn signals were discontinued. Sadly there are a few things I missed out on. I really would like an extra rear hatch lower trim piece. Kicking myself for not buying some. Also some of the 99 bumper brackets are now discontinued. 99 vr4 hatch is discontinued too. Here are some pics from my parts room. Nothing is for sale. I'd consider trading a set of window belt trims though if someone had new in box 99 turn signals or new in package lower hatch trim piece.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is quite a stash. Believe me, I was in the same boat but I was just about to start now. I've only had my VR4 for a little over a year and preventative maintenance ate up all of my funds. Luckily the parts will still be out there its just a matter of how much I'll have to overpay for them from people

·
Compulsive 3/S buyer
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
144 Posts
That stash though.. I’ll know who to hit up in the future lol!
Unfortunately since this topic came up, I work at a Mitsu. franchise and I just picked up the last auto antenna assembly that one of the dealers had 😞
Add that to the list of new discontinued parts.
That turd was expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
OEM Parts manufacturing ended many years ago (2009). A car company only has to provide spare parts (per USA laws anyway) for 10 years after the last of a particular model is no longer made.
Mitsubishi basically stopped making parts for these cars in 2009 as that is the end of the requirement for them to do so. They actually probably stopped mfg'ing them long before that as long as they felt they had enough in warehouses to supply demand until 09.

All the parts you find after that are just stock that dealerships or parts warehouses had/have. Most dealerships checked stock against their in house supply with the two main warehouses in LA and I think the other is in GA.
Anyway, the point is, OEM parts mfg'ing support ended a decade ago.

Which of course makes some parts quite valuable to owners for anyone that has them brand new. The option that many other cars relied upon was like someone here mentioned, aftermarket suppliers. Unfortunately the quantity of the 3000GT make it so there's not much attention because of low numbers (supply vs profit).

So, that's the deal.

·
Registered
904 Posts
When the regular wear and tear parts like 2nd gen VR4 front rotors and brake pads went away many years ago it rang the alarm bell for me. Hoard as much as you can and hope for the best. My car is nearly ready to go back on the road after the 3 years it took to do all flood repairs after hurricane Harvey hit. I know I will be a basket case driving this car because if something breaks or it is hit by another driver it will become a nightmare situation to keep it on the road.

The problem with Mitsubishi in North America is that they really do not care about selling cars here. If they were like Toyota in terms of size and sales they would be able to provide better parts support for older models. If they had the heritage and prestige of Mercedes Benz we would be golden. They could have had a dedicated division that provides parts for older models, will do restoration work for you, and even sell you a completely restored car using all factory parts.

Sadly, I doubt Mitsubishi will even be in the US market by 2030. They do not have enough sales volume to make it worthwhile. Dealerships don't get enough volume in service and repairs to justify staying in business. They don't have a single model of new vehicle that I personally find desirable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When the regular wear and tear parts like 2nd gen VR4 front rotors and brake pads went away many years ago it rang the alarm bell for me. Hoard as much as you can and hope for the best. My car is nearly ready to go back on the road after the 3 years it took to do all flood repairs after hurricane Harvey hit. I know I will be a basket case driving this car because if something breaks or it is hit by another driver it will become a nightmare situation to keep it on the road.

The problem with Mitsubishi in North America is that they really do not care about selling cars here. If they were like Toyota in terms of size and sales they would be able to provide better parts support for older models. If they had the heritage and prestige of Mercedes Benz we would be golden. They could have had a dedicated division that provides parts for older models, will do restoration work for you, and even sell you a completely restored car using all factory parts.

Sadly, I doubt Mitsubishi will even be in the US market by 2030. They do not have enough sales volume to make it worthwhile. Dealerships don't get enough volume in service and repairs to justify staying in business. They don't have a single model of new vehicle that I personally find desirable.
Couldn't agree more. Mitsubishi's overall brand situation is bad enough but it's really been compounded by the fact that a handful of American companies are the only thing keeping the platform alive. I really can't think of any other 90's japanese performance car that sold decently well for a decade yet lacked support so badly particularly in its home market.

·
Registered
356 Posts
In all the years I've been driving, I've never had weather stripping go bad or tear on me. I wonder if it's substandard rubber they used. All the rubber on my car is like new - of course it's garage kept since new too.

I'm not to terribly worried about electronic and engine bits judging from the number of manufacturers I see on Rockauto. I was going to bit and piece some tune up parts but there's way to many choices so I'll probably get a full kit when the time comes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts