Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my '95 VR-4 taken in for state inspection two weeks ago and when I got home, there was a stream of transmission fluid pouring out onto the driveway! I had just gotten it back from dealer with a new driveshaft, so the dealer can verify that it wasn't leaking before and MY dealer says yes, running it wrong on the AWD dynamometer will ruin it if you let off the gas or push on the brakes quickly or something like this. Anyway, my dad said first some teenage girl got in and looked like she was having trouble shifting or something, she got it moving, then just stopped suddently and had some guy come finish the job. He thought nothing of it at the time. Anyway, its being investigated, and it turns out that they tape these people working so we should be able to verify that she screwed something up. But oooh, the tape is mysteriously missing for that day, and they DID know that we were accusing that girl of messing up my tranny BEFORE the investigator came. Hmmm, obstruction of evidence? And she denies ever having touched the car. The dealer drained some tranny fluid and it was full of metal shavings, and it was just changed 1500 miles ago, so the dealer is backing me up.

Here's how you can help: Give me links to places that will verify that using the AWD dyno wrong will ruin the tranny on the VR-4. The experts at my dealership say yes, but appearantly two other mitsubishi dealers in the area say no. I'll call them myself tomorrow and we'll see about that. Any help or adivce will be appreaciated.

Thanks

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
If it's the center diff that's toast, you have a case. If not, you don't.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I know for colorado any car that is awd and has rims larger than 16" is not allowed on the dyno! It is idle and 2500 rpm test only. This includes porsche, audi, range rover and many others. They have a full listing to go off of. And yep, i had the same teenage kid, i dont know how to do my job thing happen to me. Luckily the manager ran out of the office and stopped him and told me what was going on :)

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Same here in Illinois, when I went to get my emissions tested and some kid came out and asked me to step out of the car so he could get in and move it on the dyno....and over here it's not a awd dyno so I just told him that I wouldn't allow him to get NEAR my drivers seat and made him call his manager over. And then the manager came over and told the kid how stupid he was to try and put my car on that dyno without putting my VIN number into the computer first because had he tried putting my car on the dyno, it would have literall run right off of it. Stupid kids cease to amaze me....had he put my VIN number into the computer first like he's supposed to, then he would have seen that my car can't be tested on their dyno, and it should only be given the idle and 2500 rpm test.

-Sanjay

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Sorry to hear about that! It really sucks! My suggestion would be to contact Aletered Atmosphere, or another shop like that. Altered has an AWD dyno, and they seem to be one of the only ones in the region, so I'd imagine that they know their Sh*t. Contact them in a proffesional manner about all of your questions and you should be cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts