Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my timing got off on my vr-4 and the rocker arms popped off and scarred my intake cams. my buddy gave me replacements from his non-turbo which the service manual states has the same intake (j) cam but different exhaust (k)[turbo has (n) exhaust]. well now my heads are ready to be put back on and i last minute checked the stamping on the cams and they're different. The n/a cams he gave me are labled (f) and (b). I would like to know, did the cams change for the second generation? The intake cam i was about to put on has .0235 more lift than my stock intake cams. I made this measurement with my caliper not v-blocks though. Do i have enough valve-piston clearance to use these? Somebody please write back A.S.A.P.! Thanks all who have info.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
667 Posts
I'm not the most knowledgable on this subject, BUT

It should work just fine. With the NA's having a higher compression ratio, shouldn't the piston come up higher in the block than our TTs? Other than that intake cam, I understand the NA and TT heads are identical (from generation to generation).

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its now a week later and i have the cams in and the motor running. I dont think you guys understood me but i'll refreshen. Ok my rockers fell off and damaged the lobes on my stock TT intake cams (both arent i so lucky). the dealership stealth manual says that the intake cams are the exact same for n/a and TT. they are stamped with a J. The exhaust are the different ones. N/A should be a k and the TT should be an N. so since the manual said the intakes were the same i stole the cams out of my buddys na motor. a month later when i put the heads back on, i grabbed the cams to check which were which I noticed the N/A cams were B on intake and F on exhaust. found out later that there was two different models of n/a cams. so it turns out i got that model and the only difference i see is that it has .0235 more lift and not any more duration. in theory this should give me more low torque off the line, and raise top end because more power is made due to more lift cuz more air is going in the motor. Oh and yes the DOHC N/A has more compression but its not cuz the piston comes up higher, it's just that it's domed and the TT is a dish. The intake cams are supposed to be exactly the same unless you get the other model like i did, and yes the heads are exactly the same, which by the way flow very poorly, i suggest ripping them off and porting the hell out of them but keep in mind that bigger is better does not apply, just try to make smoother flow. if i can figure out how i can send pics of what i did to any who would like them. thanks for the replies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah, I got it all put back together and it runs like it's missing on one. I've checked all possible things. This is the longest that i've ever had the battery disconnected so if any of you know, Does it normally run rough when the computer has completely forgotten? and does the first gen computer sense a misfire and turn on the check engine light?. I started it to try pulling wires to see which cylinder wasn't contributing. the first one i grabbed(#5) didn't make a difference so i pulled the plug and it was sparking like it should and i could see gas on the piston so i figured it was failing under compression so i bought a new plug and it seems to run a little smoother but still like a misfire. so is it just cuz my computer needs to learn or do i have an unexplainable problem? agian any info is helpful
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i figured out my crazy misfire condition. i feel like a retard. my useless service manual states no info on the placement of wires. only firing order which is 123456. so i asked my dad which bank was on the front in the van. 246, now that i knew that i knew where they went since the motor in the van is mounted so the trans is on drivers side so i knew that front bank on the car was 135. what i forgot was that it was really 531 so i found out that i only had 3and4 in the right time. suprizingly it runs pretty good like that sounding like it had only one misfire. so i changed the wires to the correct order and this baby runs great. still a little rough cuz the computer needs to relearn. i havent even had a chance to drive it yet cuz i gotta flat bed parked in front of the garage and we cant find the reciever hitch for the van to move it. I will be sure to post the success of my headjob and porting work. I got picks if anyone cares to see the shiny stainless valves and the knive edge inside the head. until next time-raise boost carefully and haul ass!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top