Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,568 Posts
Because it is a POS that does not work!

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I e-mailed someone about the e-ram electric supercharger and he gained like 5hp, dynoed. But it cant be run for more than like 12 seconds because it will overheat. He, the one who had it installed, said it is not worth iot and that he did it because it was something new to try.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
you would be better off to just make a custom pvc pipe running from your intake to inside your car, have a passenger hold a leaf blower up to it, and blow all that air into your intake. im actually thinking about dynoing that and seeing if there are any gains.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Key idea here: CFM's. There fan blows 250 cfms, our intake sucks in ~350-400 cfms. So if you put something on your intake that only moves 250 cfm's of air, how is it going to help? Real electronic supercharges cost a lot, and only yeild 5-10hp, in a short amount of time. I could think of a lot more mods to do with the same money that would be good all the time.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
(This is just a theoretical response - I didn't read the ad, and I don't care about the particulars ...)

>So if you put something on your intake that only moves 250 cfm's of air, how is it going to help?

(1) Cubic feet per minute * 28.xxx = litres per minute

(2) Our engines displace 3 litres.

(3) Each turn of the crank on a 3-litre engine displaces 1.5 litres of intake air.

(4) 250 cfm * 28 = 7000 litres per minute.

(5) (7000 LPM) / (1.5 litres/revolution/minute) = 4667 revolutions

Therefore, a blower that forces through 250 cfm will be forcing into a 3-litre engine more air than it can handle, in decreasing amounts at any RPM up to 4667 RPM. (And after that, said blower is a hindrance, not a help).

I understand that the turbos on the TT models do not kick in until around 3000 RPM. For a grandmother like me who almost never goes over 3000 RPM in the first place, a blower that pumps in fabulous amounts of air from idle to 3000 RPM would be a terrific power producer.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Andrew: Interesting, so what your saying is that this blower would be effective till about 4.5K rpms. Although in a racing mindset, all of your real power is produced way past 4.5K rpms, so the extra power you make before that would be a waste because you'll lose more power at the top end. But- it would be effective on a daily driver. Although is this blower made to run all the time? I thought most e-chargers where only made run for a small length of time, ie- 10-12 seconds. In that case, you would only probably have it on for 10-12 seconds after accelerating, then turn it off after you've reached the speed limit. Either way I'm not sure I would buy it, I could still think of a lot better way to spend the money on something usefull.

Side Note: did anyone read there testing on the website? It says they put there lowest powered blower in a 97 Avenger, and gaine 1.5 seconds from 0-60. And it's just a paragraph, no pictures, no graphs, no proof.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Although in a racing mindset, all of your real power is produced way past 4.5K rpms, so the extra power you make before that would be a waste because you'll lose more power at the top end.
Not so...you could (in theory) rig said blower to come on right when you take off and put a switching mechanism that would kill it and open the intake to regular air at 4.5k. Then, as long as you stayed in your powerband for the rest of the race it would be just like normal. So, (in theory), said blower could help your bottom end but not hinder your top end. I'm sure there are a hundred reasons why this is not practical and why it wouldn't work but it is fun to theorize about it.

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
vr-4wannabe said:
you would be better off to just make a custom pvc pipe running from your intake to inside your car, have a passenger hold a leaf blower up to it, and blow all that air into your intake. im actually thinking about dynoing that and seeing if there are any gains.

:scared: Ohhhhh Godddddd.....make it stop.

·
Registered
'91 Stealth RT and '93 Stealth TT; sold both in 2018
582 Posts
(This is just a theoretical response - I didn't read the ad, and I don't care about the particulars ...)
Andrew Caple, ok thats really interesting but your conditions are based on atmospheric pressures and the TT guys make their real HP with at least 15 lbs boost. So at 15 lbs boost how much air are they really craming into those cylinders?? :rolleyes: And you think this thing can build up any real pressure other then over coming the intake filter resistance?

I think I like the leaf blower idea better then this thing. :eek: ;)

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Re: Electronic Super Charger Kit???

Mitsusl said:

Is your boy a ricer? And what does he drive? :p

Hmmmmz..I dont really know :lol3: ...He drives a '92 Maxima :confused:

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I have this attachment from my Ryobi weed trimmer.Now before you laugh.It uses 50cc 2stroke and produces more boost then I could ever get from my 2 13g's.Now when you blow leaves your mind wanders and since this is on a shaft that detaches I started thinking what size pulley you would need on the end to get it to produce topend boost.Or a small 4cycle motor to come on at xRPM if armed.Of course this thing would fly apart it has shit for bearings and is plastic .Plus no cooling.But take one apart and get my buddy with his small garage based CNC machine to design it out of alum. and add real bearings and some cooling and you just redesigned a supercharger.But the key would be to use a seperate power source.Maybe a nitro airplane engine all you would need is for it to come on at x RPM and if you kept it toned down no damage to your car.And it would be like Nos.I can tell you that 4psi is huge on the NA. 6psi is what Im running now while Im working on my alky.after that it will be 8psi-10psi and 12psi at the track.If I ever see another one.Sounds like alot of hard work for maybe nothing.But Think of those little airplanes and the RPM they produce.Think of even running a turbo off of one of those motors.I have had my car turbo for almost a year and I have my moments but I never stay in boost.In a race or messing with someone it may be varying boost for 2 min. max.And that is several stoplight to stoplight runs or a couple of 100mph +HWY pulls.Generally around town if passing normally I may hit 1or2 psi. Its the throttle response that makes no more needed.Just another crazy idea brought to you by a guy who has a turbo kit that no one said would work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What you are looking at is not an electonic supercharger..this is a marine bilge pump you can purchase from a marine site for 10-20 bucks....it produces no pressure just has a hamster running wheel in plastic casing with an eletric motor ....the e-charger is totally different..its an axial flow compressor that pushes about .5psi...but still very very little boost..hope this helps.

·
Registered
'91 Stealth RT and '93 Stealth TT; sold both in 2018
582 Posts
ya, I was thinking of using my AC ventilation blower (it kinda looks like it) , that should be good for maybe 300 CFM. :D ;)
lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.