Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I took one of the mods that wa posted on this site where you run a jumper wire from the fog light relay to the taillight relay so that the fog lights would always be on. This worked fine for the past week, but tonight I was driving down the expressway and all of my lights went off, headlights, taillights, and dash lights. I pulled over and the 40amp "lamp" fuse that is located in the same box as the relay are in under the hood. It was blown and I replaced it. The lights worked but the fog lights didn't come on, I thought not a huge deal and I would deal with it later. But then when I got home I turned all of my lights off, but the headlights didn't turn off, the dash tail and front corners turned off but the headlights will not turn off. In other words my fog lights don't work at all anymore, and the only way to turn my headlights off is to remove the 40 amp "lamp" fuse. What the hell is wrong? I have to keep pulling the fuse to turn them off, and plug it in to turn them back on. Please help!!!! Thanks in advance,
Matt

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
On cars with upgraded bulbs (mine has 110w high beams and 100w fogs), you can actually burn out the wiring in the fuse box. This is due to the poor design where the fogs, parking lights, and the headlights all draw through the big 40a fuse you described.

My car burned out a wire under there. I had to re-arrange it so the 15a fog fuse got its power separately from the big 40a circuit. Just cut the supply wire leading to the 15a fuse and connect it to the big wire that powers the whole fuse box. This makes the fogs independant of the headlights (fuse-wise) and puts amperage levels back in the normal range. I have no idea why they didn't do it that way stock.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i have gone through 2 sets of fog lights in the last 4 months. all four bulbs have burned out afer a month or so. I think they were higher wattage bulbs at about 90 or 100w. Im so sick of replacing them (as it takes 3 hours to do) that im going to buy the mitsubishi lights next time i do it.

John or anyone:
Are they burning out so fast due to the problem you mentioned? I always make sure not to touch the bulb. When i take the burnt bulbe out, it looks like the actualy wires are cinged or burned. What is going on?

-vinny

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Reading past threads I think this is very common on our cars. The high wattage bulbs create more heat than our housings were designed for so the bulbs life is very short. Mine last an average of 4-6 weeks. I think next time I'm dropping from 100 watt down to 55 watt (still Astra superwhite).

55w H3's can last 2 years or more.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i think thats what it must be. next time i will switch back to the 55w bulbs as well. its to hard to take the active aero off every month or so to change the bulbs. going in through the IC vents is a pain too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts