Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wipers are straight from hell right now. I'll just cut right to it.

I was driving and the fuse blew for the wipers (15A). So I replaced it...blew another 15A...upped it to a 30A and blew that. What could it be?

·
Now with 100% more meth
2,704 Posts
if the fuses blew right away then its gotta be a direct short. check with a dmm and see if you get continuity. Follow the wires and youll prolly find a spot where the + is making contact with a ground. Or dont mess with finding the spot and run a whole new wire.

ive never heard of a motor shorting out, but i wouldnt rule out a bad motor. just try easy and cheap stuff first.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
remove wire from wiper motor and washer and replace fuse. If fuse still blows you have a wiring problem - otherwise replace the degfective motor.

Clint

·
1,568 Posts
Be careful replacing fuses with a higher rated one. The wiring for a 15 amp circuit will over heat if it is drawing 30 amps! A melted wiring harness is not worth it. As others have said, you have a short in the wire or the motor. Disconnect the wire at the pump and measure the resistance of the motor and the across the connector to see if you have a short. I would hope for a short in the motor! It will be easier to fix than the harness.

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update!

I took off the rear shell to get access to the rear wiper motor and found that my weather seals where bad. There is enough moister inside of my hatch to easy make something blow.

Front wipers now work when rear motor harness is disconnected. So my question is, what do you think needs to be replaced? I am assuming that the water dripped onto one of the wires back there and shorted something out. Do I need a new motor or just some new wires

Thanks guys

·
1,568 Posts
Since the fuse does not blow when disconnected from the motor than that implies the short is in the motor. Disconnect the wire at the pump and measure the resistance of the motor to see if you have a short. If it reads zero resistance than replace the motor.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Let the motor dry out first. You want to make sure it's dead and not just wet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.