Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What exactly is the purpose of the EGR Valve, & the EGR Pipe?
Any idea how much an EGR Pipe/or what ever this thing is called (#14 is the gasket of the part i'm talking about in the link below.)
Mine has a whole on the top & is letting smog out. Makeing my pretty white hood look like poo.

How hard would it be to replace this thing-a-mah-bob

http://www.geocities.com/lutransys/nlucius/n-man-intake.jpg

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
you could just take it all off and block the holes up. Or if it is just a gasket you can use rtv gasket maker silicon in a tube. If it is leaking I would think that your performance would be lowered by a little bit.

·
hands drop, the BS stops
772 Posts
AAM Makes EGR Block-Off plates

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so it's just an emmisions thing or what?
I have a gasket, but the pipe has a hole in it.
If i don't need the pipe I'll gladly take it off if it wont hurt my preformence with out it.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
In fact, reburning some exhaust also helps to increase power but the heat is not wanted in the intake. Blocking the EGT does help to reduce temp in the manifold but not alot. Some OBDII cars may not like this and set a code in the ECU causing the Engine light comming on.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
yeah, there are 2 schools of thought behind this. I do not think that anyone has hard evidence one way or another.

Removing the egr reduces intake temp which is a good thing.
It also effects the amount of unburnt fuel (not sure how) which some say is a bad thing.

I have mine off because my jspec engine did not have it. I figure if it was a good thing then the jspec would have had it in the first place. It also frees up some space behind the throttle body.

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, So if i take off the EGR pipe i will also need to take off the EGR Valve?

·
5,179 Posts
I blocked off both sides of the pipe and plugged the egr valve with some weld stuff. This winter I am going to go with the aam egr blockoff plate and probably dn performance precat eliminators.

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vr4me said:
I blocked off both sides of the pipe and plugged the egr valve with some weld stuff. This winter I am going to go with the aam egr blockoff plate and probably dn performance precat eliminators.
Doy ou have any idea how much the block off plates are?
How much is the precat elimator? is that lieka header or what?
I think i am going to call AAM today & posiably order the EGR Pipe & Vale block off plates,

·
5,179 Posts
I think the egr blockoff plates are $50 and the precat eliminators are like $400 or $500 (not really sure) they just replace your precats. Kinda like a gutted one but it flows better.

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
man, 50 bucks sorta sucks, but it's probly be that much to replace that EGR Pipe. :rolleyes:

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
$50 seems like a lot, and it IS for a couple of metal plates :rolleyes:

unfortunately it is next to impossible to find someone selling an EGR valve or the pipe, at least for 1st gens. :(

On my NA the valve has gone bad and its causing some horrible performance issues :( I've looked everywhere (but the dealer) to try and get a valve with no luck. One place who DID have a valve, although only for the 2nd gens, had a price of $189...

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JagdStealth said:
One place who DID have a valve, although only for the 2nd gens, had a price of $189...
50 bucks for some block offs sound pretty good now.;)

·
5,179 Posts
I have a cheaper way. All I did was take the pipe off and cut the egr pipe right at the the part that bolts to the precat and the part that bolts to the back of the intake. Cut a small metal piece to cover the hole and weld it to the back on both sides. Buy some some liquid weld and fill the hole in to make sure it doesnt leak I also used some gasket material when it was finished just to be safe. For the egr I just filled it in with liquid weld. After it dried I made a gasket just to be safe and put it back on, and it works for me. I just want to get rid of the egr valve because it would look better with it out. I have the intake off now so I can take a picture if you want or if you need more details or have questions email me [email protected]

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vr4me i understand what you mean, I don't have a welding machine though & don't know how to weld.

·
5,179 Posts
I took mine to a friend that works at a shop. He did it for free, but you could take the egr pipe out and fill it up with some type of liquid weld. Once it dries you should be ok, but I would use some gasket material to make sure its sealed at the end. (This way may be messy though until it dries)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts