Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 91 vr4 that has 135k miles. The only mods that I am aware of are 15G turbos, AEM gauges (boost controller, A/F ration, oil pressure, and water temp) as well as the fuel pump is hotwired (not sure if changed from OEM).....

Okay, the car runs pretty great and pulls strong. But it is intermittently throwing code 41 and seems to run a bit rough from 45-65 mph when not fully warmed up but its not terrible. After running on the highway for 10 minutes or so the CEL clears and it runs smooth as can be. No misfiring feeling issues when giving her hell either.

Anyhow, reading on here it seems it might be an issue with the ECU. The previous owner bought it from the guy that did all the upgrades several years back. I have no idea if the ECU has been reflashed or tuned... I know, I'm totally novice on the tuning front but I'm hoping to learn.

The question I have is, if I sent the ECU to be refurbished would/could it lose its "tune". I want the car to be reliable and feel the ECU should be rebuilt before it causese problems.

Thanks!
Nick

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
If it's a stock ECU there is no tuning... You are stuck with whatever it came from the factory with.

Code 41 is a fuel injector code. Does it set the code intermediately after being cleared? or does it take a while to fail?

I'd check the resistance of the injectors looking for a bad one. If you don't find anything wrong that "should" be wrong with that code present, then the ECU is the obvious suspect, and a fairly common occurrence in a 1st gen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ReakMcCoy,

If I have a stock ECU and replace it with a Chrome ECU, would it run like a stock ECU out of the box?

I'm just wondering if getting one of those for 800 bucks would be wiser than spending half of that to rebuild a 30 year old one? Spendy though, but if I ever want to upgrade the fuel system it it would come in handy right?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
ReakMcCoy,

If I have a stock ECU and replace it with a Chrome ECU, would it run like a stock ECU out of the box?

I'm just wondering if getting one of those for 800 bucks would be wiser than spending half of that to rebuild a 30 year old one? Spendy though, but if I ever want to upgrade the fuel system it it would come in handy right?
As far as I know it will... I cannot say for sure, as I am not sure on exactly how Adam configures the Jester units when he builds them. The Chrome ROM (the software used on the Jester ECU) is a highly modified 99 VR4 ROM. If loaded in it's stock form will set many codes in a 1G car simply because of all the emissions differences, and the solenoids/sensors that are not there... There are several peripheries that need to be disabled to make it happy with a 1G. I believe Adam does this on the ROM loaded into a plug and play unit destined for a 1G car, but I cannot say that for sure...

Overall the Chrome is a great option that I doubt you'd ever be sorry you bought....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@RealMcCoy

Hey, so I pulled my ECU and it looks like it's been rebuilt before. There is one thing that looks bad to me though but do you have an opinion?

I'm thinking I'll send this in to have it rebuilt,checked to see if it fixes the intermittent injector problem before worrying about modding lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
@RealMcCoy

Hey, so I pulled my ECU and it looks like it's been rebuilt before. There is one thing that looks bad to me though but do you have an opinion?

I'm thinking I'll send this in to have it rebuilt,checked to see if it fixes the intermittent injector problem before worrying about modding lol.
Hard to say from pictures, but I'd guess the board wasn't very well cleaned when they replaced the caps. It could very well have some damage from the leakage. Certainly worth having it checked out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sent it in . Still had same issue.

Checked codes, was throwing code 41 intermittent. Then checked resistance at each injector and they were all within .2 so not that. Finally I bought the bullet and bought a Jester/Chrome and seems to have sized the problem!

no codes and no stuttering after 20 minute test drive. I really hope this fixed the problem!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts