Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: 92 Stealth tt, 37k miles, never outside overnight, heated garage, never winter driven, never rain driven (well, I did couple of weeks ago). Everything is original but battery and tires. You would not belive how pristine this thing is. Even has that new leather smell still.

Nothing wrong with the caps, all flat tops, no leakage at all.

So do I want to muck with them or let them be. I'm inclined to leave them, re examine and do them next fall. Photo of suspects

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Did you just buy the car? Would love to see more pics if you did.
Makes sense even the caps are good. I thought I read it was hot/cold cycles than ruined them...

·
Money pit owner.
2,601 Posts
I'd leave them, they look mint to me.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,244 Posts
I would have them replaced.
27 yr old electronics WILL fail, and most likely soon.

I really wish I could help you, as the replacement is fairly easy, but I retired and don't have access to all the nice things I used to.
I was a Software Engineer that was privy to a real nice electronic assembly area with very talented techs.

Actually, I replaced the capacitors in my ECU and ECS computer by myself, but I had good tools in our lab.

Just my .02

Bob.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think those are original. Did someone solder them from the TOP of the PCB?
Had to cut the original tape to open it up unless dsm didn't seal the units, so yeah that's how they're mounted on the board as in this photo on the wiki page.

On second thought: I know the original owner really took care of the car so it is very possible that he had them replaced at some point. But you're right, that does look odd - I did not notice that when I examined their state. I do know some people do the repair that way so they can get them off when replacement time rolls around again.

I've found an experienced Stealth mechanic locally (Lafontaine Dodge) so I'll ask him to look at it too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For what it is worth I just pulled my 93 ECU, mine didn't have tape to seal it, and I can say for sure those capacitors aren't original. Also you might want to double check that the right capacitors were installed, the original ones on my ECU aren't the same as the ones listed in that guide.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For what it is worth I just pulled my 93 ECU, mine didn't have tape to seal it, and I can say for sure those capacitors aren't original. Also you might want to double check that the right capacitors were installed, the original ones on my ECU aren't the same as the ones listed in that guide.
Well now, this is getting interesting. I re-opened the controller for the suspension for giggles (which now resides in one of the package trays in a nice bed of foam) and the caps in that are the same way. My original opinion was the original owner didn't really know Stealths or 3000 GTs and just did regular car stuff with it but now I'm wondering. I have the original owners name and address so I may contact him to ask about the caps.

I'm tempted to pull the ECU again and take some photos of the tape I cut which is black, paper, 2 strips on one side, one strip on the other. They had the "feel" of factory placed if that makes any sense.

·
13,244 Posts
I don't think those are original. Did someone solder them from the TOP of the PCB?
I'm sorry that I didn't take a longer look at the picture the OP originally posted.
I can tell you FOR SURE that those are not the original capacitors.
The original capacitors would have been nearly flush to the circuit board.

It is common practice for people doing replacements to "stand them off from the circuit board".
This is because during the removal process (usuallly done to quickly, with improper tools) pulls the "feed thru's" out.
A feed thru is a copper cylindrical piece that ties the bottom of the board to the top.
By soldering both sides, the feed thru is no longer necessary, as the leads from the part itself become that feed thru feature.

I also believe (from what I can recall when I did mine years ago) the original capacitors were black in color (don't quote me on this).

If those capacitors ARE the correct value, and installed with proper polarity, I "may" be OK with leaving them alone.

The work don'e does not appear "too" bad.

Good Luck.

Bob.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yea I made another post in reference to my 93 ECU and the capacitors being different values from the guide. I've attached what a stock ECU capacitors looks like.

which is black, paper, 2 strips on one side, one strip on the other. They had the "feel" of factory placed if that makes any sense.
My vr4 was owned by the original owner, who took it to the same Mitsubishi dealership basically up until he died. Mine had no seal on it. What is the part number on your ECU? Your board design appears to be the same as mine, which is different from the one in the guide, so you could potentially have the wrong capacitors on there since my capacitors were different from what was in the guide.

Attachments

·
13,244 Posts
Yea I made another post in reference to my 93 ECU and the capacitors being different values from the guide. I've attached what a stock ECU capacitors looks like.

My vr4 was owned by the original owner, who took it to the same Mitsubishi dealership basically up until he died. Mine had no seal on it. What is the part number on your ECU? Your board design appears to be the same as mine, which is different from the one in the guide, so you could potentially have the wrong capacitors on there since my capacitors were different from what was in the guide.
Brown...that's it they were brownish. Thanks for the pic!!!

Bob. :)

·
13,244 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, I have had someone check with the the original owner, the guy that wrote down every single time he drove it, and he did replace them with the correct (same) values. I was wondering about why the ones in the suspension module looked so darn like new (stood off the board same way). The only reason he sold it is he's too old to drive now. You guys should see this thing.

Weird but this feels like a family heirloom.

Anyone want to bet whether or not the restrictor is in the turbo solenoid?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine was the same way. Dude owned it basically until he lost his leg and died, when I saw the carfax of it going to the same dealership for like 20+ years I knew I wanted it. Only problem is looks like he hit a curb or something and slightly damaged the front right of the bumper.

·
Registered
78 Posts
With caps that don't look OEM plus those are security labels you had to cut, warranty purpose. Don't know why someone would recap with such low mileage. From journeyman maintenance mechanic if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
With caps that don't look OEM plus those are security labels you had to cut, warranty purpose. Don't know why someone would recap with such low mileage. From journeyman maintenance mechanic if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Mileage doesn't "break" the capacitors, age does. The logic doesn't really apply in this situation.

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Get the ECU rebuilt by someone reputable and have the ECM done at the same time. Its not only the cap that go bad and best to have the boards tested.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts