Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
1994 Dodge Stealth TT
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ill start by saying I take no credit in the discovery or developement of this tuning method. Gatecrasher, Monochrome and some testers have been working on this a long time. Im not sure if kits are available now or not. This thread is just so people can get a basic understanding of what you need and how it works.

WHAT YOU NEED

98-99 VR4 ECU : right now, the best way is to get one of these 2 ECU`s. They are very hard to find and are expensive. Work is being done to see if other ecu`s can be modded and used, but Im not sure how far along that is.

ADAPTER HARNESS : unless you drive a 98-99 VR4, the ecu will not plug into the factory harness. You need an adapter like a boomslang, with the flash wire installed. This flash wire will plug into the tactrix adapter, enabling flash capabilities.

TACTRIX OPENPORT 2.0 CABLE KIT : This adapter plugs into your OBII port on your car, and connect to your USB on your computer. You need this to read/flash the ROM file on your ECU.

LAPTOP : To run the software and connect the tactrix cable to.

ECUFLASH : This software is available from the tactrix site for free. This is the program where you will read your ROM, edit it, and reflash it.

3000gt XML FILE : ECUflash does not come with the ability to read the 3000gt ROM. This file was created by those working on this project. You add this folder and file it contains to the rommetadata/mitsubishi folder in ECUflash file section. Now it can load a 99 3000gt vr4 ROM.

99`3000gt VR4 ROM FILE : Currently the flash we use is the 99vr4 stock, I cant remember the correct revision. Once you have ECUflash installed, and the 3000gt XML file in the correct folder, you can load this file. From here you can change many variables and flash it to your ECU.

** The XML file, as I understand, is still evolving to include more complete descriptions of periphery.

WHAT IT DOES

It eliminates the need for a piggyback. You can scale the injectors. We still use EBC, cause as far as I know, we cannot yet change the stock BCS. You can remove emissions parts under the hood, and turn them off in the flash for no CELs. You can mess with fuel maps, timing and airflow, but that is above my head. There are many more settings also. Best of all you can get your heavily modded car to run like stock. Most importantly, you can maintain the safeguards that the stock ECU provides, and NOT blow up your engine. Hopefully the boys will come up with a custom ROM service that is worth their while, so a ROM can be made for specific builds.

~D~

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Thanks for writing this up. Nice to have it nice and neat in one place.

In one of Gatecrasher's posts, he mentioned configuring the sd card( I believe for datalogging, but unsure) How is that done? I can't seem to find anything on that anywhere.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Found it

Ok, now that that's out of the way....here's a quick summary.

Purchase an OpenPort 2 adapter from Tactrix.com
Purchase a compatible Micro SD card from anywhere. Don't waste your time with anything over 2GB. 2GB is enough space to store logs for pretty much the lifetime of your car
Set up a log configuration file on the SD card
Plug the adapter into your car, and it'll automatically connect to the ECU, and when it sees data that match the conditions you set in your config file, it'll start logging data to the card. When the "stop" conditions are met, it'll stop logging.

When you're done, take your OpenPort 2 back to your PC, download the .csv (comma separated values) files into a decent text editor, MS Excel, or your log analysis software of choice.

Tactrix is talking about adding a log analysis interface into their ECUFlash software, but it's only being talked about at this point. It is not even in beta, so don't hold your breath for it.

If you want to see the numbers while you're driving, you'll still need a laptop and a copy of EvoScan ($25)

I've been testing this for a couple weeks on my 94 Stealth TT. It works great, and I don't even have the most recent revision of the software.

Links:

Tactrix: tactrix
Logging config details: openecu.org • View topic - Openport Stand-Alone Logging Beta

Oh, and that reflash thing for the 98-99 cars. The OpenPort 2 is currently the ONLY adapter that will allow end-user (IE YOU) to program your own 3000GT. You can COMPLETELY re-write your ECU. But to do that, we need people to get on board with buying the adapters, and CONTRIBUTING to the task of analyzing how the ECU software works so we know exactly what to reprogram.

·
Premium Member
17,919 Posts
Ok, I stickied this thread. Please if you ask a question, make sure you have read the thread. DO NOT just ask a question that has been posted.

Coop

·
General & A/V Moderator
7,249 Posts
Found it

Purchase a compatible Micro SD card from anywhere. Don't waste your time with anything over 2GB. 2GB is enough space to store logs for pretty much the lifetime of your car
Plug the adapter into your car, and it'll automatically connect to the ECU, and when it sees data that match the conditions you set in your config file, it'll start logging data to the card. When the "stop" conditions are met, it'll stop logging.

When you're done, take your OpenPort 2 back to your PC, download the .csv (comma separated values) files into a decent text editor, MS Excel, or your log analysis software of choice.

Tactrix is talking about adding a log analysis interface into their ECUFlash software, but it's only being talked about at this point. It is not even in beta, so don't hold your breath for it.

If you want to see the numbers while you're driving, you'll still need a laptop and a copy of EvoScan ($25)

I've been testing this for a couple weeks on my 94 Stealth TT. It works great, and I don't even have the most recent revision of the software.

Links:

Logging config details: openecu.org • View topic - Openport Stand-Alone Logging Beta

Oh, and that reflash thing for the 98-99 cars. The OpenPort 2 is currently the ONLY adapter that will allow end-user (IE YOU) to program your own 3000GT. You can COMPLETELY re-write your ECU. But to do that, we need people to get on board with buying the adapters, and CONTRIBUTING to the task of analyzing how the ECU software works so we know exactly what to reprogram.
That explains why i couldnt go back and find my logs...lol. Yea, so grab a micro SD card. I think i have a 256kb one that came free with my phone a year back. It will store you log info so you can check your tune. It plugs directly into your Openport 2.0, so just leave it there.

·
1994 Dodge Stealth TT
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Found it

Links:

This is irrelevant for me. I will not be logging with the tactrix unit. Just flashing and reading ROMS. I will be logging with evoscan. Feel free to go for it however, sounds like a good way to go.

·
General & A/V Moderator
7,249 Posts
Evoscan needs the Tactrix 2.0 cable in order to log via Evoscan.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
"Set up a log configuration file on the SD card"

My question is what does this mean? I have no idea how to set up a config file.

·
General & A/V Moderator
7,249 Posts
If you are logging:
-Grab laptop
-Grab tactrix 2.0 with mini SD installed
-Plug tactrix into obdII port on car and then into laptop (drivers should self install)
-select MUTII (i belive, sorry not next to my home computer atm)
-click on the values in the left that you want to log
-click "start logging" and do a 3rd gear pull
-click "stop logging" to stop after you let off your pull.
-Evoscan will save your logs on your SD card, so you will need to go into the file menu and look for them. I think it was the second tab over where it was found.
-open logs in excel and view readings.
-you can also view your logs with evoscans bar graph and playback feature, but excel is the info you will really want.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
If you are logging:
-Grab laptop
-Grab tactrix 2.0 with mini SD installed
-Plug tactrix into obdII port on car and then into laptop (drivers should self install)
-select MUTII (i belive, sorry not next to my home computer atm)
-click on the values in the left that you want to log
-click "start logging" and do a 3rd gear pull
-click "stop logging" to stop after you let off your pull.
-Evoscan will save your logs on your SD card, so you will need to go into the file menu and look for them. I think it was the second tab over where it was found.
-open logs in excel and view readings.
-you can also view your logs with evoscans bar graph and playback feature, but excel is the info you will really want.
Oh...duh...so the congif is just selecting what parameters to log? I think I was reading into it too much

·
SDSU Alumnus
2,855 Posts
FWIW, people who are making the jump from ES v2.6 or older should be aware that "DataSettings" are now stored by user instead of your "Program Files" directory.

Personally, I save a backup separate from my 3/S file for working with Lancers, etc.

·
General & A/V Moderator
7,249 Posts
You should hop onto another computer. Yours is messed up.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Can a 98-99 SL ecu be reflashed with a 99 VR-4 image?
I've read other threads that claim yes, but a lot more of these recent threads seem to claim only 98-99 VR-4 or Montero ECUs will work. I think this would be helpful for everyone.

And I apologize in advance if this question is overasked, but I'm not able to find the answer anywhere.

EDIT:
Found the answer: A: The SL ecu lacks the drivers for the stock boost gauge and BCS

1 - 20 of 139 Posts