Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
is there a way to test the steering angle sensor? also does the steering sensor run through the clockspring?

·
Busted Knuckle Garage
1,713 Posts
http://www.stealth316.com/images/stim/tim_02-09.gif

This is the best info I can find on it...

Are you able to clear the code? Try disconnecting the battery if you can't clear it with a data logger. Some information on the interweb is a guy who says he does allignments and they callibrate the steering angle sensor through a logger... I'm still looking around for more diagnostic info for you.

·
Busted Knuckle Garage
1,713 Posts
I did find this for you but I could not open the actual service bulliten or see which Mitsubishi model they were refering to:

"Service Bulletin - Search Results | Safercar.gov | NHTSAwww-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/.../tsbresults_drilldown.cfm?...MITSUBISHI...Cached
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Manufacturer : MITSUBISHI MOTORS NORTH AMERICA, INC. ... NOTE THAT THE STEERING ANGLE SENSOR (SAS) IS NOT PART OF THE CLOCKSPRING."

Edit:
I did find that SB, it's here, and it's about the outlander clockspring getting jammed:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbresults_drilldown.cfm?start=1&SearchType=DrillDown&type=VEHICLE&year=2007&make=MITSUBISHI&model=OUTLANDER&&TYPENUM=1&SUBMIT=Retrieve+Recalls&PrintVersion=YES

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
well assuming the wiring is not going through the clockspring I guess my next step is to check all the wiring to the sensor best i can for damage- i'm not going to throw anymore parts at this problem right now- i hate electical issues.

On a side note- I took the ECS switch out and tried to check it per the manual, but the pins on the back of the switch are not the same as in my manual (and my manual is for the right year 92) not sure what could happen if the switch it bad but i haven't ruled that out either.

·
Busted Knuckle Garage
1,713 Posts
I saw an EVO illustration that puts the SAS at the base of the steering linkage where it connects to the (transaxle?) in the engine bay. It's a large collar around the steering yolk right at the base of it.

I would disconnect the battery and see if it re-calibrates. I know that's a long shot, but it's free. lol

·
Creator of weird stuff...
4,116 Posts
Steering angle sensor is built into the Clock Spring. If the codes say it is having issues then it needs to be replaced. The clockspring also houses the Air bag connectors so don't go messing trying to repair it. Just replace it.

·
Busted Knuckle Garage
1,713 Posts
Steering angle sensor is built into the Clock Spring. If the codes say it is having issues then it needs to be replaced. The clockspring also houses the Air bag connectors so don't go messing trying to repair it. Just replace it.
Hey! Thank you so much!!! I was trying to help... Sorry if any of the info I posted screwed up the OP! I'm going to go chew on this slice of humble pie...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks guys- all the info was good to know i hadn't tried fixing this again yet so you didn't mess me up.

Now I just have to find a clockspring! On a side note i'm getting used to "sport" mode and it's not that bad.

·
thuanvinhny
1,587 Posts
well, to bring this back from the dead as it is most recent and is also happening to me

It doesn't blink when turned on, idling for about 10 minutes, until i drive around for about 10 minutes then it will blink. This is not consistence, it randomly blink. Sometime it doesn't blink at all for 1 hour of driving, but it always blink if I drive longer than 1 hour.

It will reset everytime I turned the car off.

I had my newest ECS struts about 2,000 miles ago + Springs as well (Lowered Spring). Also had 1-2 caps replaced at IPS. Still dont know what the heck is wrong with it

·
Creator of weird stuff...
4,116 Posts
Bulb in the main gauge cluster loose, bad wiring, or loose connections.

you need to trace all components of the ECS system to find the culprit as your issue could be one of many things. unfortunately you have that Ghost problem that takes a lot of digging and checking to figure out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I would strongly recommend pulling the code when it's blinking, that might point you in the right direction.

Mine did something similar to yours before it stopped working all together and blinked everytime i drove it. With any luck you get a code pointing to one of the shocks or something that will put you on the right path.

I kept getting code 21- and i've been stuck there i haven't had any luck finding a new steering angular sensor? I kinda want to check another ECS computer to verify if my "rebuilt" one is working or not- but i don't want to spend anymore money on this issue right now.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It doesn't blink when turned on, idling for about 10 minutes, until i drive around for about 10 minutes then it will blink. This is not consistence, it randomly blink. Sometime it doesn't blink at all for 1 hour of driving, but it always blink if I drive longer than 1 hour.
- thuanvinhny

I'm 80% sure that your symptoms mean that at least one of your ECS strut cap connector wires is broken. This is the common problem that's well known and everybody says to visually inspect for but I've been spending a fair amount time with these harnesses lately and I have repaired 3 now where the copper wire had broken right at the top of the plug but the surrounding plastic insulator around the wire was still intact. ....which means (1) a visual inspection won't reveal the problem and (2) your probably getting an intermittent contact that works upon startup but drive long enough with a little vibration and the ECS controller will not be able to command the strut and then it throws the error. You need to pull the codes to figure out which strut the ECS unit says is the problem and then pull that connector harness out and test it with a multimeter for continuity on each of the 5 pins and be sure to wiggle the wires near the top of the strut connector as you do so.

Or just buy a new harness for that strut and see the problem goes away.

Duke

21 - 32 of 32 Posts