Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked around at the used car dealerships in my area (Harrisburg, PA) and it seems that I can afford either a 97-98 Eclipse GSX or a 95-96 3000gt SL. In your opinon, which car do you think is superior the the other. The GSX has AWD and that helps alot in inclimite weather. Which has better preformance specs? Please voice your opinions. Thanx

Alex,
future SL or GSX owner hehe

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,609 Posts
The 3000GT SL is a classier car but I think the Eclipse GSX will out perform it. It all depends on what you're looking for. I think they are both great cars. The Eclipse will cost less $$$ to maintain. It's your call! Buy to please yourself.....Not someone else!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with Bob, the 3k is much classier. But the eclipse will out perform it. What do you want and want to be seen in more? I have both an eclipse GS-T and a VR4. Both are great cars but can't compare the two as much as the SL and GSX. In the long run I think you will be happier in the 3000GT, it's almost as fast and is classier. But you must be happy in what you get. Good lucK!

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
I went htru the same thing 4 years ago when I was looking to buy a car. I had my heart set on a NEW car. I'd driven MANY cars, anything sporty and under $25k. Even drove a new SL but the $29k sticker ruled that out. But it was my favorite. I had decided on getting a 1996 GSX. That is until I found a USED 93 Stealth R/T. I made the decision to buy that since it was what I really wanted anyways and have never regretted it. I'm SOOOO glad I bought passed on the GSX and went with the Stealth. I'm not sure why everyone is saying the GSX will outperform the SL. It has less power. Sure it's smaller and a little lighter, but not by much. The GSX is only about 150 pounds lighter. And the SL way out-classes the GSX. But if you plan on turning it into a super-racer, the GSX is probably the better way to go. If you're looking for the best thing to get for the long-run, well, I chose the R/T (same as SL).

EricB

·
Banned
10,940 Posts
I had a similar desicion to make last year in febuary(talon vs stealth). I chose a stealth RT/TT, I do not regret this

My suggestion would be drop back a year or two and get a vr4. Then you get the AWD, speed, and the class

Alan

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own a 92 Stealth and a 90 GSX. I am in the process of rebuilding the engine on the Eclipse and have to admit liking the cockpit better than the Stealth, it just seems more cozy. I wouldn't buy the SL if I had the choice, the AWD Eclipse would be a nice advantage in inclement weather.
If you go a couple of years earlier a TT AWD Stealth would be the choice just for the rush of accelerating 2 tons at an impressive rate. And It would cost less than the newer Eclipse.
Or Just do what I did, buy a high-mileage version of each one!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
yes, i think we all went through that. I was looking at getting the Talon TSI AWD/GSX or a stealth/3kGT VR4. Don't be cheap cus u'll regret not paying that extra $$$ on a VR4. Just get an older one. Only problem is the maintanece cost. The s/3kgt cost a lot more, especially the tranny problems. I rather have the 3000gt cus it's more of a head turner and less of them around.
If you want to tune up a pocket rocket, by all means, get the GSX. Of course get AWD cus u can drive under full throttle on wet roads and good on snow.
So, if it's the SL u want (all show not as much go) or GSX.. you can't go wrong with both. It all depends on what you like.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree w/ Alan, I would drop back a year or two and get a VR4 if you can. Then it's all class and all performance. If this is an option??!!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, i think ill wait a little and get a Vr4. I definitly don't want an "all show, little go" car but the Vr4s are just a little to pricy at the moment. Either way, i'll have the best car in my highschool parking lot. hehehe

Alex

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you want performance, buy the GSX. It is faster stock and has the capability to run low 12's to high 11's fairly easily (front mount, 20G turbo, fuel upgrades and clutch and race gas). The 3000GT SL won't even come close on a good day stock vs. stock because of the AWD on the GSX. The SL has 12hp more but the GSX weighs about 500-600lbs less. My friends '95 (new body style) GSX weighs 3110 with 1/4 tank and no driver. The SL is a heavyweight, probably closer to 3600-3700lbs. In the end it is up to you, the 3000GT looks better and I suppose is more "upscale" and classier but the Eclipse would be my choice because of the performance potential. Enjoy your decision!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I was also left with the same issue, and i had less money to spend. I bought a 91 Stealth ES, and it really weighs about the same as an eclipse GSX. My stealth weighs in at about 3100 lbs, and that is about the same as the eclipse. The main difference in acceleration that no one else has hinted on, is the large difference in gear ratios. The Stealth is geared much taller than the eclipse. for example, A friend of mine says his GSX hits a hundred in fourth, while i am still well in third gear at 100. Plus, the SL will be slightly behind to 60 mph, mainly because of the AWD, but once you hit triple digit speeds, the 3000GT will take over.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To play Devil's advocate here ...

I would go for the 3KGT SL. No offense (to you or any of the other 'youngin's' on this site), but I think at your age (high school you said?) the VR-4 could get you into trouble AND the insurance would be outrageous. An SL is plenty fast (~222hp) and I would think that in school LOOKS would count for a lot!!!

It's all about the babes ... hehe

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Get the 3000GT. Yes the Eclipse can easily be modified to be faster. But the 3000GT looks a lot better. Plus there are tooo many eclipses out there. Why would you want to blend in with everyone else when you can stand out!

Tuan Luu
1994 3000GT

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, over 100mph in 3rd! I finish the 1/4 mile with a best of 103.21 mph in 3rd and still have a few hundred rpm to play with. You can actually go over 105mph in 3rd, in my '94 Twin Turbo anyway at 7000rpm.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah... Heck, we can get up to 70 in 2nd, thats only 5 mph slower than the corvette in 2nd. Our 3rd gear just rules

·
3,802 Posts
Ron 94 TT,
I think your mistaken on your weight figures. The 3000GT SL only weighs in at around 3200, not much more than the GSX. I think that the GSX would win off the line, and probably for a little while. But in the end the 3000GT SL would win in show and go.
Player

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
The 5-speed non-turbo 222hp engines (SL, 91-96 base GT, ES and R/T) are good for about 38mph in 1st gear, 68 in 2nd, and 105 in 3rd. The great thing is the car pulls hard pretty much right up to those speeds. This is a lot moreso than the Eclipses. So while the AWD GSX might get the jump on the line, I's have to say that the SL is gonna win in the long run. Actually, it'd probably be so close to say that whoever the better driver is would win.

Style? GT hands down winner.

EricB

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, the GSX will be slightly faster. And there are alot more aftermarket parts for them. But YES, there are a WHOLE LOTTA Eclipses out there. ALOT! ALOT! ALOT! They kinda rank up there with Camaros and Mustangs as far as being common. OK, OK. Not THAT bad. The 3KGT will stand out and really, really is classier. I love the sound of my V6 and don't care for the sound of the 4s a whole lot. But they have the sound of a turbo spooling up. Wait! GET A VR-4!!!!!!

www.geocities.com/dr_zeus2000/dragons-lair.html

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Grimm, what exhaust do you have on your car? Was it on there when you bought it or did you add it? If you added it after you bought it, what difference did you notice?

Thanks,
EricB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts