Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about e-bay? How many owners here bought their car off of ebay? I'm thinking about getting a car off of this site and I was just wondering how reliable this auction site is. I know a guy that's a member here that bought all of his mods off of Ebay but I'm just curious about who out there bought there car off of that site? My whole family was bitching their asses off at me since I told them about considering buying a car off of ebay. Please guys tell me how good and reliable this site is or is it a ripoff ? I saw a Stealth TT on sale with only 11,000 miles on it and I could't believe it and even the bidding price on it was awesome, so that's why I'm wanting to buy it off of that site. Any suggestions on what you guys think I should do (auction or not?)

Luke

·
Registered
497 Posts
i bought my car off of ebay :D , last august. i had it shipped from san francisco to das's (the shipping company) shipping center in new jersey. i bought it unseen. obviously there is a big risk in doing it if you cant go see the car or have someone you know look at it. but it worked out for me and i got a great deal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why everyone in the house is bitching at me for even considering it, since I can't go see it or drive it either. Oh heck, I tell them that it's my money and if I get a pefect condition car for around 12 grand I'll be laughing my ass off at them. From what I hear from everyone that bought their vehicle off of that site that it's awesome and they encourage to buy their car off of that site. Well thanks for replying. I'm glad someone got a good deal out there from an auction ;)

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Hey don't forget you have several thousand guys here, from all over the USA and many of them would be more than willing to go take a look at a car for you.

It may not hurt to have the guy take it to a dealership for an inspection too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JeremyG said:
Hey don't forget you have several thousand guys here, from all over the USA and many of them would be more than willing to go take a look at a car for you.

It may not hurt to have the guy take it to a dealership for an inspection too.
I'm glad you guys are really supportive on this site. It all depends on what deals are in front of me by this summer. Thanks for the support :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
yea, i know shit about twin turbos but i could beat on it and see if it breaks :D . thats another thing we should have, like there was the thread about 3s tuners. we sould have a list of people and their locations that would be willing to look at cars for other members

matt

·
Ultra Member
4,294 Posts
I got my car off eBay ... I will say that it is sometimes a 50/50 gamble unless someone got a chance to truly look over the car.

Unfortunately, mine was a Florida car and it seems they don't last up here in the Northeast too well. :(

Just my pithy opinion.

·
I need more cars
2,360 Posts
I'm probably a decent one to pipe up on this issue considering that I bought both of my TTs from Ebay.

My experience so far has been super. Like the others say, its all a big risk. Definitely talk to the seller a lot, email and phone. Get a feel for the situation. Try to get them to quantify the car with statements like absolutely no dings except for 1 on the fender and perfect leather exception for 2 inches of slight wear on driver seat. Get these statements in emails that you can hold again them should things go sour.

On my first auction, I had the dealer take it to his local Mitsubishi for a prepurchase inspection then Mitsu faxed me the report. Cost $60 and I did this before the auction. Granted if I didn't win it would have been a waste, but it gave me a good feeling.

My second auction was from a private party. Again I talked to them a lot and felt secure on getting the car.

Both of my cars have turned out practically perfect. Maybe luck, I dunno. Good luck!

·
Registered
555 Posts
i got mine off ebay too, i've been very happy with it. it was a good deal for me becuase i got a maryland car that never saw a winter and drove it back up here to maine. i took a 6am flight for $60 down and i was back by eight at night. real good way to get to know your car right off the bat. i would highly encourage having him take it to a dealership to get it checked out tho, it's worth the money especially if anything turns out wrong with it... good luck
-Greg

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
3000GTBEAST said:
What do you guys think about e-bay? How many owners here bought their car off of ebay? I'm thinking about getting a car off of this site and I was just wondering how reliable this auction site is. I know a guy that's a member here that bought all of his mods off of Ebay but I'm just curious about who out there bought there car off of that site? My whole family was bitching their asses off at me since I told them about considering buying a car off of ebay. Please guys tell me how good and reliable this site is or is it a ripoff ? I saw a Stealth TT on sale with only 11,000 miles on it and I could't believe it and even the bidding price on it was awesome, so that's why I'm wanting to buy it off of that site. Any suggestions on what you guys think I should do (auction or not?)

Luke
Which one at Ebay are you checking out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts