Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about 99% sure I can beat this car but need to make sure before I make my wager. The wager is that the loser takes the winning couple out to dinner! That's like $40 so I don't wanna lose.

Neighbor with a Trans Am (2001 NON-ram-air) has been talking crap... yeah actually it's the WIFE that owns the car and she really thinks her car is faster...

My wife has ridden with her and says that from the passenger seat she thinks my car is faster.

She has no mods, totally stock. I have only a boost controller at 14psi. I've run a 13.75 as my best 1/4 mile time.

So will I beat her? We're going best 2 of 3 races...
1. From a stop, approx 1/4 mile
2. From a 5-mph roll, about 1/4 mile from "go".
3. From 30mph roll, about 1/8 mile from "go".

She also wants to do a full-out 1-mile race but I'm NOT racing head-to-head at what will probably be 135-140mph speeds.

To make it closer I was thinking about doing it WITHOUT the boost controller.

Well, will I win?

·
In charge
1,814 Posts
Her car is a bit stronger then yours. But its close enough that the better driver is going to win. If you feel confident that you are the better one, then you'll have no problem. If not, then you may be out $40

·
Cams: Where less is more
978 Posts
thats odd i didnt know they made a no ram air trans am, i just thought it was base, trans am(ws6), firehawk(bestest:D)...i may be wrong

1. you may be able to hold him/her off in the ¼ with a big dump(no pun intended):D
2. if you lost the first race you would probably also lose this race, if you wanna win this one you would have to a. keep revs up b. pray s/he just mashes on it and bakes the tires;)
3. he most likely has ya here

p.s. why make it closer use the boost controller, some cam2, and 15-16 psi:D

edit: yogs ya beat me to it:D
use=you

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
You might be able to hold him off through the 1/4 from a dead stop. A race starting from any speed roll you will got walked. The 01's are VERY stout and have a slightly better cam (I think) out of the box, as well as a few other minor tweaks. My VR-4 gets walked by LS1's all day long from a roll, from a stop I can hold off a stock to lightly modded one through the 1/4 mile. Any longer and the LS1 will walk right by. Look at trap speeds, the LS1 will be 5+ MPH faster in the 1/4.

Oh yeah, without the BC, you better make reservations. :D

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok but I thought the Ram Air was like the Z28 and the Trans Am was below a Ram Air? Maybe it's just a plain Firebird? It looks just like a Ram Air except no Ram Air.

Either way I have run even 1/4 mile races with Z28's so if this is anything less than Ram Air I thought I could beat it?

Youknow what I need? A list of the fastest to slowest of the F-bodies

for example (and these may be wrong)

1. Z28
2. Ram Air
3. Trans am
4. Camaro V8
5. etc. etc.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Differences..

Firebird = V6

Firebird Formula = LS1 (same body as V6)

Firebird Formula WS6 = same as above with WS6 handling and performance package.

Trans AM = LS1

Trans Am WS6 = same as above but with the WS6 performance and handling package.

The WS6 package adds Ram-Air, upgraded exhaust and a fully upgraded suspension.

Camaro = V6

Camaro Z28 = LS1

Camaro SS = LS1 and SS package (similar to the WS6)

The SS and the WS6 are a little faster, not not a lot. The Formula WS6 is probably the fastest as it's a little lighter than the T/A.

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Quick question. What do ya'll think about my car versus a completely stock 25th Anniversary Trans Am? My friend's sister has one (automatic) and my friend swears her husband can beat my ass with that car. What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Differences..

Powelsound said:
Firebird Formula WS6 = same as above with WS6 handling and performance package.
[/B]
DOESN'T EXIST

The formula never got the full WS6, in 99 they ram air'd the Formula but quit because it was faster than the WS6, so if its an 01 or 02 it could only be a Firebird, Formula, TA, or TA WS6. The easiest way to tell is the sound obviously, teh V6 is very quiet, and the foglights, the TA and WS6 have the foglights in teh center of the front next to the license plate. he Fomula and Firebird have them on the outside. Plus one says firebird and one says Trans Am.

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
JeremyG: Good luck on your race, DO NOT take your boost controller out ;)

PowelSound: Your WS6 looks bad as hell, very intimidating front scoops

esc: I wouldn't count on winning that race since your a n/a

·
Registered
215 Posts
JeremyG said:
Ok but I thought the Ram Air was like the Z28 and the Trans Am was below a Ram Air? Maybe it's just a plain Firebird? It looks just like a Ram Air except no Ram Air.

Either way I have run even 1/4 mile races with Z28's so if this is anything less than Ram Air I thought I could beat it?

Youknow what I need? A list of the fastest to slowest of the F-bodies

for example (and these may be wrong)

1. Z28
2. Ram Air
3. Trans am
4. Camaro V8
5. etc. etc.
Fastest to slowest LS1 F-bodies:
1) Tie - Z28, T/A, Z28 SS, Formula, WS6.

In other words, they are all too close to call. If forced to pick 1 F-body configuration that on average is the quickest, I'd go with a stripper 1LE Z28.

The '01s tend to be a little quicker than the '98-'00s. If you want an unbiased answer, ask this question on www.ls1.com or www.camaroz28.com.

I own both a '99 6-speed Z28 and a BPUed '92 R/T TT, and I'd bet on the F-body. With a perfect launch, you might take him in the 1/4 mile from a dead stop. Just make sure you race no further then 1/4 mile, or he will catch and pass you. From a roll, my money's on the F-body.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Re: Re: Differences..

StangsSuck said:

DOESN'T EXIST

The formula never got the full WS6, in 99 they ram air'd the Formula but quit because it was faster than the WS6, so if its an 01 or 02 it could only be a Firebird, Formula, TA, or TA WS6. The easiest way to tell is the sound obviously, teh V6 is very quiet, and the foglights, the TA and WS6 have the foglights in teh center of the front next to the license plate. he Fomula and Firebird have them on the outside. Plus one says firebird and one says Trans Am.

The hell it doesn't!!! My buddy Tom, Y2KWS6 on this board has a 2000 Formula WS6. 2000 was the last year for the Formula WS6.

Here is a Formula WS6:

Also, they never made just a Ram-Air Firebird, all of the Ram-Air (from the factory) Firebirds are WS6's with the exception of the Firehawk (again, I think)..

·
Mullet Mobile
276 Posts
Re: Re: Differences..

StangsSuck said:

DOESN'T EXIST

Would you care to run my V-6 with the Ram Air hood big time car guy? :D

I have the "full WS6" package..................... Its just a V6 with a Ram Air hood I swear. :) No No dont mind the slight rumble I have a bad ac compressor. :)

F'n Tool. Learn something then come back and talk to me.

There was a WS6 option in 98-00 for the Formula. No its not any quicker than a similarly optioned TA. The only option you could not get on a Formula that you could on a Trans Am was Articulating seats. Everything else could be had on a Formula. As a matter of fact my 00 RAM AIR Formula is exactly the same as powelsounds RAM AIR Trans Am. You are right about them not offering the WS6 package on the Formula in 01 and 02 and it has nothing to do with performance it was to get more Ram Air TAs sold because idiots like you think there is actually a difference between the cars.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
There is no real performance difference between any model LS1 F-body. Ram air's and hood scoops don't make any difference (the ram air might at a really fast speed but I don't know for sure). The SS/WS6/Firehawk have different catbacks that might give at most 5-hp more. But they also have 17/275/40 wheels and tires which are heavier, which negates the 5-hp gain from the catback.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Seems like alot of useless babble in this damn thread. If you can run a 13.75 during the race you'll win. If not you'll lose.

Racing from the go is for fags in my opinion. Especially if youre car is boosted. It gives to much of an advantage to us.

Just my .02

WD

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
Racing from a roll gives the 3SI an advantage? Have you ever heard of trap speed!?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts