Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a steath ES with H rated unidirectionals & the whirling noise from those G*D D**N things drive me crazy. Z rated tires are worse. Do the early base stealths have S RATED rubber? I know the tires are a bit narrower than those on the dohc car. Someone said if I switch to S rated rubber I will get a much rougher ride & terrible handling.
I have such S rated rubber (strauss grand prix 235-60-15's OF ALL THINGS ) on my 79 pontiac t/a & that car handles DAMN good & the tires are super quiet. I dont care about going over 70 mph. How do the base steaths handle & ride? I know they have fairly narrow tires. Aren't they S rated? I would like to go with WIDER S RATED tires close to the 225 55hr 16 tires on my car now. Somebody out there MUST have tried/is running WIDE S rated rubber on a dohc car. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT TURBOS & WILD DRIVING.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I get an assload of noise from mine... I dont know what the tires are rated, but they are very noisy. I can guess my speed pretty acurately from just listtening to the frequency of the noise... I thought it was just mine...

Kevin
91 Base Stealth

C

·
0 Posts
I have a '92 Stealth base model with 245/45/17 Sumitomo's mounted on 8 " wide Borbet Type E wheels. I don't notice any loud noises coming from the tires. The ride and handling are excellent.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hey, i don't know what brand of tires you have on your car, but it doesn't depend just on the speedrating. You just must have crappy tires. I have a 91 ES, with Z rated Dunlop's, and it is quiet as can be. Go to tirerack.com, and invest in some GOOD quality rubber. If you put S rated tires on your car, it's handling would be completely shot, and talk about noise! If you try to take a turn very fast with S Rated tires, all you will hear is sqealing. Hope i was of help.

Brian
91 Stealth ES

·
Registered
213 Posts
For what its worth I have two sets of tires which I alternate on 93 base Stealth- 215 55 16 and Bridgestone Eager and for the winter I put on Douglass (yes from Wal- Mart) 215 65 15 which are all season tires ($40 a piece). Both are quiet. I was also surprised that the ride and handling did not decrease that much with the narrower and cheaper all season tires.

·
Registered
253 Posts
running 235/17 on this.The shop pissed me off by getting me 235s.I originally paid4 255/17.They claimed there were no 81/2 inch in this rim and so I had to settle with this 71/2.I learned my lesson with this rim place!http://www.geocities.com/henboy1/blkstealthpaid4.html?945403484420

1 - 6 of 6 Posts