Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering if any of you guys have the dr sidemount intercooler upgrade. i am kinda going for the sleeper look so i am not going to go with a fmic. i am wondering if you felt a decent gain in power by them. any info would help...thanks

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Even though I am running DR's sidemounts I found out that my factory IC's where partially pluged so I can't give a definate answear on this. The size difference between factory and the DR IC's is huge and they barely fit behind the bumper cover. I recomend pulling the bumper cover off to make the install easier but they are a direct bolt on. One of the right side IC hoses is very tight with the vacuum resevoir that is on the lower right side of the car.

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
they've helped

Matt has run them with good success, even with stock piping. The price is getting to the point where the FMIC would be worth your while....but the sleeper look is comendable...and not to judge your setup, but the turbo/fuel work should be in before the IC mods imo.....that's the general consensus I've ran into on this board.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are you running stock intercooler piping or are you running dn performance piping or any other hard pipe kit? i will be running the dn piping with the side mount intercoolers so i think it should be a little better with the hard pipe kit.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i am not planning on getting the intercooler upgrade just. i am going to do my turbo's and fuel setup in a couple of weeks. i am just trying to get a genral idea the worth of them. thanks

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
What's the size of the upgraded intercoolers?

I ask because a local shop has offered to put some Grand National intercoolers on my car, some minor welding of the intake/output portions to the stock piping looks like all that's needed. You can pick up GN intercoolers for like $100 each and he's saying the welding would be around $150.

I'm thinking for a dude on a budget and with some experimenting time, this would be a good alternative.

Not to say the DR kit isn't good... it's tried and tested and it works.. and you dont' have to screw around and experiment. If I had the $$ I'd go that route just to get rid of the hassle!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am not to sure what they flow but dynamic says that they are 1" X 1" bigger than the hks side mount upgrade. so if you can find out how much they flow you can figure that into your comparison.would a gn intercooler fit ok without modifications to the bumper or anything.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The pipeing on the DR IC's is a little bigger then the stock IC's. The stock hoses are a very tight fit on the DR IC's but they do stretch just enough to fit. I had to take the hoses off the car and install them on the DR IC's before I installed them. I also had to remove the left IC 3 times to get the hose angle right. I was very happy that I had the Bumper cover off at the time.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
dunno if how the GN IC's will fit. The guy had my car up on the lift and took a look and said "yeah, they look about the same size", except they are a LOT thicker than stock, and the intake/output holes are bigger than our stock piping. So based on that, I would think the limitation of the GN's would be the stock piping, not the IC itself. (unlike our stockers where the IC is the limitation, from what I've read).

I will say, that based on DR's pics on their website, and compared to what I remember the GN IC looking like... I think the GN is a little bigger but not quite as thick as the DN. I do not know the flow of the GN.

I just might be the guinea pig on this later next year, but not until I do the turbos (which I HOPE to do in the spring, hopefully).

BTW I tried to find the dimensions of the GN IC in a search and look waht I found:
http://www.cartech.net/intercoolers.htm
$1700 for side-mounts for the 3000GT! URRGH! Although it DOES include all hard piping including the y-pipe and everything!

DR is still cheaper if you combine their SMIC with the DNP hard pipe kit. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have them, along with DN's pipe kit. When I installed them I also upgraded the turbos so I don't know how much of the difference could be attributed to the intercoolers. My thoughts are that you are not going to feel much difference with any intercooler upgrade except on extremely hot days or at the track, especially if you have to idle in line waiting to run for long periods, and even then you may not notice becuase what will happen is your performance will not diminish as quickly as the stockers because they won't heat soak as fast. To big of an intercooler for the turbos you are running and your performance will actually diminish because of the flow required just to "fill" them.

·
Puts Out On 1st Date !
6,397 Posts
JeremyG said:

look waht I found:
http://www.cartech.net/intercoolers.htm
$1700 for side-mounts for the 3000GT! URRGH! Although it DOES include all hard piping including the y-pipe and everything!

DR is still cheaper if you combine their SMIC with the DNP hard pipe kit. :)
Those are the old Alamomotorsports intercoolers. They sold on the Alamo website for $2800 or so. Since Alamo sold out I believe cartech is selling them now. Cartech is the original maker of the IC kit for AlamoMotorsports.

Just a little FYI ~~ Cartech is a company in San Antonio that is owned my Corky Bell. They do nice work and the IC's are HUGE. Something like 19 square inches of internal flow area.

Also, DR side mounts are $999. DNP hardpipe is $789.99 (on dynamics site). That's $1788.99 in my book. How is that cheaper than $1700 ??? Although, for that $88.99 your pipes will be polished, not powder coated red or black. I like the polished look myself.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
redvr4 said:

Those are the old Alamomotorsports intercoolers. They sold on the Alamo website for $2800 or so. Since Alamo sold out I believe cartech is selling them now. Cartech is the original maker of the IC kit for AlamoMotorsports.

Just a little FYI ~~ Cartech is a company in San Antonio that is owned my Corky Bell. They do nice work and the IC's are HUGE. Something like 19 square inches of internal flow area.

Also, DR side mounts are $999. DNP hardpipe is $789.99 (on dynamics site). That's $1788.99 in my book. How is that cheaper than $1700 ??? Although, for that $88.99 your pipes will be polished, not powder coated red or black. I like the polished look myself.
for what it's worth i believe jim floyd has the alamo sidemounts and absolutely loves them. i recall him saying to me on the way home from the NG that he was planning (eventually?) on going with the IHI ball-bearing turbos :)

also, matt & jacks fastest runs were done on stock and then upgraded sidemounts iirc.

~matt

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do you guys know if anyone is running the dr upgrades with dr-500's. those are the turbo's i will be upgrading to. i will assume that they will be benificial to the turbo's since the turbo's flow much more than stock. thanks

·
Puts Out On 1st Date !
6,397 Posts
OK, I e-mailed Cartech about the intercoolers. The $1700 is just for the intercoolers. :eek: :eek: :eek: The intercooler and hard pipe kit is $2500. They are having a special this month. Every order gets 10% off. You can get the pipes powder coated in a number of colors. You can not get them chromed or polished though.

Phil

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
damn that is alot of money for smic and piping. at that price i would just say F the sleeper look and go with a fmic. i think i will just stick with the dr upgrades

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.