Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
just a guy
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few people that are running dual DSM intercoolers.

What are the pro/cons of going with these intercoolers? They should be a little larger than our stock ones. Is there a significant improvement? How well do they fit in the stock location? How difficult is it to modify the IC piping to accomodate a DSM intercooler?

I'd love to hear from some people that have gone this route.

thanks

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
oh dang! I know someine that doing this but we thought he was gonna be the first :(

no results yet.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The first gen intercoolers are about 1.5 in thicker than the 3/S and second gen DSM. The surface area is slightly larger, but the tubes are bigger inside and the outlets are 2" instead of our 1 3/4". I never got to track test them to see how much of a difference they made, but I do know my oil pressure is 2-3 PSI higher at Idle and water temperature is lower-about 10 degrees when I run the car hard. This tells me they cool the air better.
To make them work they need modified. I had a machine shop relocate the inlets and outlets and weld the moutning brackets from my stock intercoolers. I gave them both sets of I/Cs. The oil cooler must be relocated to the front of the car (see Jeff Lucius's site) for the Driver side to fit. I mounted the passenger side upside down to clear. I was even able to use the stock 3/S plastic ducts.
As for going from 2" I/C pipes to the stock 1 3/4", I used a 1 3/4" O.D. to 1 3/4" I.D exaust adapter I got from Advance Auto. the outside diameter flare fit inside the 2" and the rest went into the 1 3/4".

I did this twice. The first time I had the shop cut off the pipes from my stock intercoolers and weld them to the DSM i/c. this worked, but I wanted to upgrade to larger piping. I'll try to attatch some pics of the first set I had made. This way gave me a tenth in the 1/4 mile and 3-4MPH higher trap speeds. Considering the salvage yard I got the I/Cs from thought they were heater cores, I got them for ten dollars and the shop work cost me $90, I think it was a very cost effective mod.

·
just a guy
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those seem like decent performance gains. I'd still be interested to see some pics if you have them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Can you just get longer pipes and mount the dsm or even our stock ic in the front and make it a "custom" fmic?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts