Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Detroit RiceCop
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my $5 worth of comments...
When Mitsu made the DSM's, they made a four banger that could hang with the Mustang's and Z28's in the early 90's. When Mitsu made the 3S's they made a car that would hang with the Vette's and the Porsche's. The bottom line is, the DSM's are fast and a stock DSM AWD will be just behind a Stock VR4 in the quarter mile. Both can be upgraded to go faster but only one was made for true performance.

The 3S's, as many of us tend to forget, is a true performance sports/touring car. Where a DSM will slide off the road at 70MPH on a tight S-Curve entrance ramp, the 3S will hug the corners at 80+MPH with ease. Where a Stang will slip on the road and do 360's on ice, the 3S will take off in confidence.

Where a DSM tops off and runs out of gears and RPMs at 140MPH, the VR4 rides away at 170+MPH.
Sure, the 3S is heavy, but ever wonder why the $300K 6.0 V12 Diablo GT weigh's more than an 8.0 Viper? It's a performance touring/sportscar that can make the driver one with the road. The Diablo GT weighs about the same as a VR4.

When Mitsu made the GTO in Japan, they wanted it to be "Everything All Four" and of course wanted speed. The 280 RWHP limit in Japan was one of few things stopping them from doing what the designers intended the car to do. It had the potential to be faster and they could have easily done this. Bet you didn't know the the three Flavors of GTO in Japan were the GTO Twin Turbo, the GTO Twin Turbo MR and the GTO SR, where the SR was 225HP and AWD! There were no front wheel drive N/A's with SOHC; All models were AWD; and two were Twin Turbo. See the link below and go to Specifications to see for yourself. Mitsu could have put in 15G turbos but that damn limit probably held them back.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/docs8/productss/gto99/index.html

So the next time a DSM guy gives you flack about the inferior Talon or Eclipse being faster from an upgrade, remember the heritage of our cars and the dream that Mitsu had when they designed the Coca-Cola looking Performance Touring/Sportscar that was truely "Everything All Four".

I think I'm going to cry.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I, too, hate the fact that there is a "New Thread" button right next to the damn reply button. Obviously that's how this one started.

DSMs do not top out at 140 unless they are stock. Unlike most cars, the modded ones can easily hit the rev limiter in 5th gear which is about 170-175, depending on AWD or FWD.

What DSM have you ridden in that won't hold a curve? Simply buy 225/50/16 tires instead of the stock 205/55's and watch the improvement. Even a good brand tire in stock size is fine - no "sliding off the road". Have you ever owned one? Driven one even?

After owning 6 DSMs over the past 10 years, I think I'm in a position to know. The only advantages the 3kS cars have are:
<ul>
<li>Incredible power down low - torque peak @ 2500rpm
<li>Cheap mods = very fast - 13.0 is very easy to reach with no new hardware.
<li>Better overall package - Ass hauling is nice but when you want to cruise they do it effortlessly, with all the options you'd want in a car
</ul>

I will never own another DSM. The only thing that ever kept me out of a 3kS in the first place was the unrepairable tranny and now that parts are available, there's no looking back. The only factor in choosing between a DSM and 3kS is how much money you have to spend.

·
Detroit RiceCop
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've owned a 1G Eclipse and have driven a 1G turbo and a 2G turbo. In my opinion they just don't compare to the 3S. They do not hold a curve the same as the VR4 does. I'm not saying a DSM can't grip a corner, but the VR4 doesn't roll into a curve like the DSMs because of the superior ECS shocks. I'm not sure but I don't think DSMs even have a G force sensor like the 3S either. I've never gone 140MPH in a DSM but I have in a 3S. The DSM will never feel as stable as the 3S at these speeds simply because of the weight difference and the suspension.

A fully loaded DSM Turbo was about $25K and a VR4 was about $40K. I agree with the advantages listed, but I feel that there's more to the $15K difference than just options, it was just designed better overall. Even the sheet metal used in the fenders and the doors is of superior quality that keeps them from warping and getting dozens of digs or getting minute rust marks. I haven't seen a high-mile DSM that doesn't have a few dings and dents, but 3S's generally have flawless bodies that just don't rust if the primer is intact.

It's all these things together that put a barrier between the two cars. I consider the DSM a cousin of the 3S that share similar components, but the DSM was never designed to even compare to the 3S. I just feel that the DSM is a "Civic Killer" and a 3S is a "Vette Killer" though both are very fast, one stands out as a true performance touring sportscar.

I hope that someday Mitsu brings back the GTO and 3000GT because, though it is fast and furious, having the Lancer as the flagship car just doesn't give me that fuzzy feeling in my stomache when I look at it.

Peace

·
Registered
478 Posts
In 1990 I was looking to buy a car and test drove several different types of cars .I took a DSM fwd turbo for a ride, I was quite impressed with the power but the interior stye was something I could not get use to.I looked at domestics such as the stang or camaro but didn't like the exterior or the interior of the camaro. I decided to go with an 86 daytona turbo not quite the performance of the others {160 hp} but close .The price was right too{about a third of the others}. I really wanted the AWD of the DSMs but had to wait.Three years ago and 250,000km later it was time to buy another car so back to the test drives I went.This time my heart was set on a DSM.I looked around for quite awile for a car that hadn't had the piss run out of it and found two ,a 95 & a 97 talon turbo{the eclipse is not available in Canada unless you import } two very nice cars. This time the test drives where me my buddy and the salesman.Out onto the highway onramp we went 2nd gear and to the floor the pedal went .I gripped the steering wheel tight waiting for the turbo to spool and the lunge of a turbocharged car I knew all to well.Where was it I woundered was something wrong with the car? No, just the enormase drag of 600lbs of rump roast the little 4 banger had to get moving .I'm not saying we didn't accelerate but it wasn't the seat back sqeeze I expected.Weeks later I saw the add for a stealth turbo in the paper and decided to check it out.It was a 93 and in red.It had more curves than Pam Anderson eatting a pretzel. I was in love but couldn't let the salesman know . I asked him for the key so i could open it up and have a look around. I pulled the handle for the hood latch and walked to the front.Sliding my finger under the hood I caught the tab and lifted the bonnet.Ohh no the kind off engine bay only a sevice shop could love you know the type, throw a quarter at it and it would never hit the ground but owe so beautiful.Climbing in to the seat I had that feeling, like the world had stopped for just a moment and all eyes where on me. A turn of the key sparked a deep but soft rumble I was after 27 years finally home and where I seamed to belong. The rode away from the dealer had a few quick turns and a long straight stretch I'd make that salesman pay for being foolish enough to let me go by myself. Hard on the throttle as I hit the apex of the first corner I expected the car to get a bit skitish as it squated and pulled hard but no! was this thing attached to rails or what.I knew the straight ahead would make the decision for me.I grabbed the shifter and slid it down a gear then pushing the pedal to the floor I found myself incased in the soft leather of the seat as the speedo jumped like the hands of a stopwatch timing a 100 meter dash 60,70,80,90 tick tick tick I knew I had found the soul mate my left foot was always looking for. The decision was clear from that moment on I was a stealth man if nothing else a stealth man.......

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
It was a matter of dollars. Put a set of KYB AGX's on a 1g DSM ($500) and see how it rides. They have no G sensor because they have no auto-adjusting shocks. Economics. My GSX was comfortable at 145 - too bad I wasn't :) A set of real tires and good shocks will tip the scales back in the DSMs favor. Remember - the same AWD control with less weight going into the turns. Do it in a Galant VR4 (I had one of those too) and you've got 4ws too.

The body panels aren't too different - it's the owners. I've always parked way out by myself. Many owners of "cheaper" cars park next to whatever is there. If the car costs more, the owner is more likely to be careful where they park. My 92 GSX was (and still is, out in AZ with its new owner) mint. Only the dark colors had problems and there was a recall for that.

The DSMs had no competitors - certainly not the Civic. Maybe the Integra. Nobody else

I much prefer the 1g DSM "elephant hide" interior vs. the 2g "yards of hard plastic" approach. Padded vinyl beats cheap plastic any day.

I hope it's obvious that I still prefer the 3kS cars, for the reasons I stated in my first post. There isn't a better car out there. If you handed me $40k and said "buy a new car" there is not one I'd take over my current one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
klamathpro said:
Here's my $5 worth of comments...
Bet you didn't know the the three Flavors of GTO in Japan were the GTO Twin Turbo, the GTO Twin Turbo MR and the GTO SR, where the SR was 225HP and AWD! There were no front wheel drive N/A's with SOHC; All models were AWD; and two were Twin Turbo.

Not bad info

But i have a non turbo MR ?

GTO also make front wheel drives also , have seen quite a few ??

·
Detroit RiceCop
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Purhaps there was a non-turbo MR in the early years only. Because the website shows only three models for 99' and the MR was a Turbo in 99'. Mitsu must have really changed the lineup because only the straight Twin Turbo had 4WS and ECS shocks. The 99' MR was 10KG lighter and had no 4WS nor ECS.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/docs8/productss/gto99/spec.html

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeah ,i say you are right with the earlier years

what we find here ,as most we get here is jap imports is that the diff models have all sorts of different options ,some should not have and others miss out on but ,i'm not sure on this but i guess that the japs order this from the factory like this ?
i have been trying to find another nonturbo MR or info on these , all i can find is that they have a more sport tuned suspention ??

anyone knows ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts