Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
-
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will DSM intercoolers fit were our stock side mount intercoolers are? They are bigger aren't they? I just want to use one on the passenger side for a custom supercharger project. Will it fit? Could I even mount it in the front? Any other intercoolers I might find in junk yards?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
I know at one time board member 93baseGT was going to be using the DSM intercoolers to make a FRONT MOUNT. Id talk to him about it, hes had alot of experiance with our side mounts and the dsm side mount.

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
i was going to try to make side mounts fit but alot of other things happened around that time and the project got put on the back burner and has since fallen off the stove.

it doesn't look like there would be much trouble in converting them, you just need to take good measurements and know a good welder. use the 1st gen ones because they seemed like they were going to be a better fit than second gens. thats really the only thing i can think of right now about it.

·
-
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you actually weld two of them together to make a front mount? What does the cross section of the intercooler look like? Isn't it just a tube winding back and forth untill it gets to the other side with fins all over it? Doesn't seem like you could weld inbetween everywhere if you stick them together.

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
They are pretty big and are of much nicer construction than our stock equipment. I got one from a junk yard but haven't done anything with it yet. It won't mount up direcly.

-Chris Wood

·
-
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not worrying about it mounting up directly, I'm using it for a custom supercharger application. Basically it needs to fit in the space down there and have enough room for the IC pipes to come out. I have an automatic transmission so it is even tighter.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I am sure it can be done. You can weld on some brackets and secure it using the stock postion.

Also you might want to check out the supra side mount. It is an upgrade for dsm's. It can handle a fair amount of boost.

Also maybe a straion front mount?

Just depends, but on a supercharger and 10:1 compression ratio you will want all the intercooler you can handle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts