Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so me and my friend were changing out my plugs and I stepped inside to get my torque wrench. I came back out and he's like I dropped a bolt. I look and I see it and say no problem we can get that. So he sticks in some pliers and knocks the bolt out of site. SO we say we'll get it later. We come back after doing the plugs and its visible from a different angle. We go for it and again my friends knocks it down further.

So not it's lost. It fell right under the intake manifold so it's basically somewhere between two heads somewhere in that little area. I got a new bolt to replace it but I want to know if I should go in there and get it. Is it possible for me to go in there with a magnetic retreiver and get the bolt out? Is it worth getting it out? Again it didn't fall into the manifold so it's not in the cylinders but it is resting on the engine somewhere. Not sure what to do any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not really in the engine just somewhere on top of it. Anyways how should I go about getting it out?

·
Like a Rat out of Water
2,976 Posts
Try your hardest to get it, but if you can't get it, don't worry about it. It's not IN your engine, so it's not going to do any harm. However, if it were me, then I would definitely go about finding a way to get it. Magnets work the best. I have one where you push a lever to retract the magnet. The works the best so you don't get stuck on anything on your way to the bolt.

-Bat

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
bah, theres no harm in where it is.. There are no moving parts or anything. Chances are it will stay where it's at and not move around at all. There are all sorts of little recesses on top the block between the heads. I can't tell you how many things I've dropped down there. I bet that's where my socket set ended up :p

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I dropped a bolt into my IC pipe one time. The best tool is a long metal, bendable rod that has a powerful magnet on the very end. It's about 2 ft. long and VERY useful. Available at any auto parts store.

You wanna hear the weird ending to the story? I tried for hours to get that bolt out. Then I look on the side of the car under the hood, and the bolt is up sitting, looking at me. :eek: Talk about weird...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I got a badass kit from Napa for like 88 bucks. Its got all sorts of different size and shape magnets and make life so much easier.

I remember when I was doing in my TT conversion, I accidentlayy dopped a bolt in the Turbo :rolleyes: If it wasn't for this thing I'd have to pull the rear turbo out and shake the bolt out, but I'm glad people make useful stuff

·
Registered
10 Posts
18 years later and I knew there would be a thread... Here I am and I dropped the bolt for the harness bracket... Then I knocked it out of sight. It's sitting beneath the lower intake manifold. I even looked at the store for magnets but couldn't find them before closing. Go figure...

·
Registered
574 Posts
18 years later and I knew there would be a thread... Here I am and I dropped the bolt for the harness bracket... Then I knocked it out of sight. It's sitting beneath the lower intake manifold. I even looked at the store for magnets but couldn't find them before closing. Go figure...
Harbor freight sells telescoping magnets of various sizes/lengths, but they are rigid. You might need a flexible next magnet, which i have definitely seen on amazon. Just got OCD reasons i would want to get it out, but if its just down in the valley of the block it should be OK as mentioned above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts