Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

My drivers side window has gotten to where it won't go all the way up. Get about half-way, strains and then stops. I'm guessing its the motor or worn regulator. Appreciate anyone's guidance on this.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,917 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stabilizes and moves window up/down. It uses cables around pulleys to raise and lower, sometimes the plastic guide at end breaks allowing cable to hang or come off pulley.
Removed the panel and inspected the regulator. Here's a picture from the top down. The little plastic wheel looks worn out and off the track. Not sure what its supposed to look like, but I'm betting its not supposed to look like this and accounts for the binding when with window is going up. Thanks for your help!!

Regulator_1.jpg

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,310 Posts
It's a fairly easy fix. If you can avoid them, try not to buy cheap Ebay ones. They lack in quality and don't operate with the same speed and smoothness as OEM (or the better aftermarket ones).
Removal by yourself is a breeze, it can help to have a second set of hands to hold the window in place for a few minutes while you install the mounting screws...

Good Luck!

Bob.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a fairly easy fix. If you can avoid them, try not to buy cheap Ebay ones. They lack in quality and don't operate with the same speed and smoothness as OEM (or the better aftermarket ones).
Removal by yourself is a breeze, it can help to have a second set of hands to hold the window in place for a few minutes while you install the mounting screws...

Good Luck!

Bob.
Thanks for the heads up Bob. Yes, I've noticed that there is a big range in prices. At a bit of a lose as to which ones to go with (going to replace both while I'm at it). I'll ask wifey to give me a hand when installing the window. Thanks! - Jerry

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,917 Posts
........Not sure what its supposed to look like, but I'm betting its not supposed to look like this and accounts for the binding when with window is going up. Thanks for your help!!
Yeah, that's not suppose to look like that, looks like plastic guide assembly is not only broke but completely missing. With pulley damaged like that it will certainly bind or eventually not even hold window up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've order driver/passenger window regulators from 3SX. Should be here by the end of the week.

Quick question...

Once the regulator is disconnected from the window, with the window slide up completely out of the door slot? I ask because I may put window tint on them while I have them out. I can do it with the windows in the doors, but doing them outside the doors is more professional. Just need to be extra careful when re-installing to prevent scratching.

Thanks - Jerry

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,310 Posts
IIRC, Yes.
It should just slide up the "channel"
You "might" want to pull the outer lower door trim (you have to remove the triangle piece at the front of the window, a small screwdriver on the inner triangle will pop it out, under there you will find a screw which holds the outer triangle in place.
There is a screw on each end of the trim (inside, under some rubber seals) and then it should just pull up. I usually try to get it started at the door latch end of the door and then pull it up slowly....

Hope this helps....
(you may find that you don't need to remove the trim, and if so, I apologize for the rambling. It's been a while since I replaced one...

Bob.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Bob! Funny how two window regulators have turned into regulators, door speakers, door panel paint and now, window tint. Need to get this thing put back together for I end up doing an entire overhaul and restoration! ;o)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts