Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing that my car is AWD, do I need to put drag radials on all 4 wheels or would it be less strain on the drivetrain to install only 2 DRs?

My thoughts on this are that 2 will give a descent amout more traction while the other two spin and relieve some stress on the drivetrain. I like my transmission :), I don't want to replace it all the time but I'd like some traction off the line (I hear traction is a major issue with the AAM TD05 kit.)

Just trying to figure out if I should buy 2 or 4 spare rims for the car.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I think the idea with the VCU would be to have either all 4 break loose or none at all. Fronts and Rears turning at different speeds = very bad on the tranny.

·
Registered
328 Posts
tokaygecko said:
My thoughts on this are that 2 will give a descent amout more traction while the other two spin and relieve some stress on the drivetrain. I like my transmission :), I don't want to replace it all the time but I'd like some traction off the line (I hear traction is a major issue with the AAM TD05 kit.)
Get all four Drag Radials / Drag Nittos! If you had two drag radials and two normal street tires, than you'd be putting alot of stress on the tranny.. wouldn't be good at all. What clutch do you have? I'd recommend the four Drag Radials (if they will be on spare rims) or Drag Nittos (if you need to use them everyday with limited rain driving) and a good clutch that will allow a little slippage off the line like the RPS Carbo / Carbon Carbon series.

See ya,

·
Registered
877 Posts
Even with four drag radials, you won't be able to get good traction. I could spin mine all the way through first and second. I've seen Mike put his up in smoke when he was 1/4th of the way down the track and his 20g's spooled up. It was pretty amazing. Has anybody else heard that Mickey Thompson is coming out with ET Streets in 17in. sizes this year?

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike- I am assuming that with an EMS, TD05 16G setup, and all the supporting mods the only worthwhile investment is going to be the RPS twin disk C/C. I'd like to get the single disk but I am not sure if it will hold the power.

Future plans once the 16G setup is functioning and getting some consistant times is to move up to a 16G/18G combo. I am pretty sure if I want the clutch to hold the power and don't feel like replacing it every 5,000 miles than the twin C/C is the way to go.

Am I right?

Damn, looks like I have to buy 4 DR's and wheels. More money dissapearing.....

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
tokaygecko---Your avatar is going to get someone at work in trouble.

Drag radials have to be heated to work correctly... how do you plan to heat them? ET Streets are non-radial(no metal reinforcing bands) DOT legal slicks, so they have more flex in the sidewall. This means that even though they won't work 100% since you can't do an AWD burnout to heat them, at least the sidewalls will flex and absorb some of the shock of the launch and help keep you from breaking traction. I can sell you some 16 x 8" polished aluminum wheels that weigh <10lbs each for $600 shipped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.