Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

DR500s Dyno #'s

10K views 120 replies 41 participants last post by  TurboSinceBirth 
#1 ·
Well I got my dyno results in, I was suprised at how much the tuner had to lean out my car. I'm running -36 from about 4.5K up till redline.

Anyways here's my results running 1.00bar

Peak HP 350.1 @ 6100rpm
Peak TQ 362.3 @ 4800rpm

Not bad I guess for about 15psi, next time I go to the dyno I'll have a new clutch and we'll put in some race gas and crank up the boost some more.

When I first came in the door the car dyno'd 297hp, it's amazing how much you pick up with better tuning.

#2 ·
Looks very similar to my 13G performance!! How come you're not running 17psi though?

#3 · (Edited)
Can you post your dyno sheet so we can compare? I'd love to see how your torque curve looks. It seems we both have the same problem, no high end torque to really push the HP past 6000. I think cams are in order:)

Also (EDIT) You should submit your dyno info to Turbo Turd so he can put it on his site:)

#5 ·
Looks very similar to my 15G performance too! I see a pattern developing here... I think until you get rid of the restrictive stock mas, the size of the turbo doesn't matter as significantly as people think. Maybe all the dyno charts side by side will prove that theory wrong though. I'll post my dyno sheet when I get home and we can compare them all and see how they differ.

any thoughts??

Turbo tension, are you also using an s-afc with the stock mas?

#6 ·
Ported heads would also help free up some of the HP

#7 ·
shofear said:
Well I got my dyno results in, I was suprised at how much the tuner had to lean out my car. I'm running -36 from about 4.5K up till redline.

Anyways here's my results running 1.00bar

Peak HP 350.1 @ 6100rpm
Peak TQ 362.3 @ 4800rpm

Not bad I guess for about 15psi, next time I go to the dyno I'll have a new clutch and we'll put in some race gas and crank up the boost some more.

When I first came in the door the car dyno'd 297hp, it's amazing how much you pick up with better tuning.

that’s not bad with the stock MAS, those #'s put you right around 500crank HP, that seems to be the limit of the stock mas...

and thats what I call a short list of mods for those power #'s at 14.22psi, sounds grate:)

K&N FIPK
HKS EVC IV @ 1.00
DR 500's
Borla cat-back
Stillen DP
Supra pump
S-AFR
RC 550 injectors

#8 ·
I wasn't running higher boost because I didn't think the stock clutch would hold much more power, so I decided to tune for 15psi.

Unfortunatly I don't have a working scanner right now otherwise I'd post the dyno sheet up.

Also I noticed they didn't touch my AFR settings below 3.5K, guess that part of the curve isn't as important??

Also I have a dip in the Air/Fuel to 10.7 or so around 5.7K, then it jumps back up to 11.2 at the 6.1K mark. The tuner said it's not a big deal. Looking at my AFR I see I have a gap in the adjustments 5.2K-5.9K, probably the cause.

#9 · (Edited)
I smell a write up for Jeff Lucius' pages of info, maybe for comparative purposes.

I am using an SAFC and stock MAS

I think the loss im power is due to my lack of boost up high (damn MBC let boost off to 13.5PSI at max horsepower) and the fact that torque seriously drops off disgustingly. I'd say the MAS is ok for me for now, but I'd like to see what cams can do to help remedy this.

Shofear, how does this compare to what you have?

EDIT: Mods

K&N cone
S-AFC
450cc injectors
Denso 255lph fuel pump
13Gs
Turbo XS bleeder valve
ATR downpipe, no cats
Borla catback

#10 ·
hmmm....

with all that talk about the limit of the MAS lately, scratch one good example to the 500hp limit team......that's interesting stuff guys, good work and thanks for the info

#11 ·
those are beautiful numbers for 15psi. keep up the good work, you should be able to squeeze another 40 ponies at 18psi

#12 ·
My relevant mods:

15G turbos - 550s - S-AFC - ATR dp - Borla - DSBC - Type S BOV - stock clutch

Here is 14psi

Here is 16psi

My 14psi graph looks VERY similar to yours Turbo Tension. Even that little camel hump in the TQ at ~4700 rpms. So with the stock MAS, looks like bigger injectors make no difference and similar turbos are a marginal difference too. I daily drive at 16psi, so I wonder how your 16psi graph would compare.

Jason

#14 ·
FLYERS!!!!

WTF is this, I have the EXACT same problem in my torque curve AND it's almost IDENTICAL in RPM to me. I dunno about you but I thought my problem was that I needed an Electronic boost controller.

#16 ·
Re: Re: DR500s Dyno #'s

SnakeSkinner said:

that’s not bad with the stock MAS, those #'s put you right around 500crank HP, that seems to be the limit of the stock mas...

and thats what I call a short list of mods for those power #'s at 14.22psi, sounds grate:)

K&N FIPK
HKS EVC IV @ 1.00
DR 500's
Borla cat-back
Stillen DP
Supra pump
S-AFR
RC 550 injectors

If he had an ARC II, an upgraded SMIC setup, and a strong clutch,...where do you think his hp/torque #s would be? Kinda curious, because that will be my sig will look like when I can find the time to install all my mods.

BLUTO

#118 ·
Re: Re: DR500s Dyno #'s

If he had an ARC II, an upgraded SMIC setup, and a strong clutch,...where do you think his hp/torque #s would be? Kinda curious, because that will be my sig will look like when I can find the time to install all my mods.

BLUTO
Guess What Its Time to take my 1995 3000gt vr4 out of storage, was running 20psi on DR500's before #3 compression rings went due to stock injectors limit's, New rebuilt motor, balanced Stock internals, bored 20 over cylinders installed, no miles, stored since 2012, using SAFC-2 and ARC-2 together, 660cc injectors, FMIC, Larger Radiator, and 340 Pump hotwired.

#17 ·
Turbo Tension, and flyer my curve looks very similar.....

Take a look at the 2 peaks in TQ in yours, I hit one around 4.1K then another at 4.8K, very similar but with less torque. Then a massive drop after the peak falling to about 260 TQ by 6800rpms

I also hit about 335hp at 5.1K, climbs to the 350max by 6.1K, then drops to about 330hp by 6800rpms.

Very close #'s guys. Wish I had a scanner but we all have nearly identical graphs.

#23 · (Edited)
shofear said:
Turbo Tension, and flyer my curve looks very similar.....

Take a look at the 2 peaks in TQ in yours, I hit one around 4.1K then another at 4.8K, very similar but with less torque. Then a massive drop after the peak falling to about 260 TQ by 6800rpms

I also hit about 335hp at 5.1K, climbs to the 350max by 6.1K, then drops to about 330hp by 6800rpms.

Very close #'s guys. Wish I had a scanner but we all have nearly identical graphs.
I wish Matt Monett would jump back in and give us his opinion. I am about 70% convinced that the problem is not in our MAF but in our cams. It's been stated by Dynamic, and AAM that our cams are designed for low end torque. If this is the case, I think for people with upgraded turbos like ours, that would be a much more sensible buy than having to get an ARC2, new MAF, and go through tuning all again, just to find our torque dropping off again.

Flyers: It is absolutely weird that your 15G turbos, with the larger injectors, are making the same power as my 13Gs. I seriously think there is something about our motors that is quirky.

EDIT: (a 30% loss) 351HP x 1.30 = 456.3crank horse power.

I see nothing wrong in telling people my car has as much horsepower as a viper:cool:

#24 ·
Drivetrain loss has been talked about many times and it seems that its not a set % or set # but somewhere inbetween. Yes stock is about 25% but it is not liniar after you start to modify. Do a search for "The physics behind drivetrain loss" and you can get all the calculations to figure it out...

#25 ·
every dyno chart that I see here has that camel hump @ 4700. hmmm I think I'm gonna go look at trevors real quick and see what it looks like. anyone know why it does this?

#26 ·
trevors dyno graphs are completly smooth... he also has an arcII.

other mods that I know of

15g's
550cc
arcII
forged pistons
turbo back exhaust (no cats)
hks fuel pump
and thats about it for performance mods

the only difference I see is the arcII

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.